Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: file usage for coppermine  (Read 2935 times)

nemo2010

• Coppermine newbie
file usage for coppermine
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:52:11 pm »

Hi,

I have been using Gallery2 by menalto for quite some time, however my photo gallery is large in size and that creates problem with my hosting company.
Gallery2 for each picture creates about 5-6 temp files, that adds up fast in my case. 40,000 pictures * 7 files = 280,000 files.

If I were to move to Coppermine, would it decrease the amount of files needed to run it? Can someone tell me what is a total file count for galleries with 10,000-20,000 pictures? I can remove older pictures just to stay within allowed 50,000 files. All of my pics are in full resolution with 2 intermediate sizes, but it can be changed to 1 intermediate size and full version. In addition all thumbs can be created on the fly if such option exist.

Thank you

Nibbler

Re: file usage for coppermine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:15:31 pm »

Yes, you'd have only 2 additional files created for each file you add. Intermediates are optional. Thumbs can't be created on the fly. That would be worse in your host's view anyway.

nemo2010

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:33:28 pm »

Thank you for fast reply, I am going to set up a test gallery and upload 5k pictures to begin with. As far as thumbs on the fly.... I agree it is not the best option but my hosts prefers this over amount of files on my account.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:40:34 pm »

The best way to save webspace is by reducing the size of your full-size images to the size that is necessary, i.e. by resizing them. In an ideal world, you'd be resizing them on your client before upload them to your webserver.
You might as well take a look at the preliminary docs for cpg1.5.x where I have added a section about space usage and the resolution settings for the various file types in coppermine - what is being said there for cpg1.5.x applies for cpg1.4.x as well. Please read up http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/start.htm#getting_resizing

nemo2010

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:41:44 pm »

Joachim,
My server comes with unlimited space (probably no more than 500GB) but file limit is set for 50k. There is no need for me to reduce images as the people viewing it are family members only, traffic and usage is not very heavy. Bigger resolution pictures allow them to download and print images. I may only have 800x600 px plus full resolution which will decrease number of files on the server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.