Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integration with Drupal or Wordpress MU with subdomains  (Read 8801 times)

schwooba

• Coppermine newbie
Integration with Drupal or Wordpress MU with subdomains
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:34:52 am »

Before I get started developing, I was wondering if the fabulous Coppermine will integrate/bridge with Drupal or Wordpress MU to take advantage of subdomains (http://username.domain.com)??? Or perhaps Coppermine can support subdomains naitively??? I couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Integration with Drupal or Wordpress MU with subdomains
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:18:32 am »

Subdomain setup depends on webserver setup. You can't configure it on application level. So yes, coppermine supports subdomains as much as any other application and can be bridged across subdomains. Your subdomain question simply doesn't apply.
Coppermine doesn't come with a bridge file for Drupal nor Wordpress out of the box, but for both applications third party bridge contributions exist, please search the board.

schwooba

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »

Thanks for the quick response!

Drupal and Wordpress MU both have auto subdomain creation when you create an account. So if I were to signup using schwooba as an id, it would automatically assign me schwooba.domain.com. Pretty slick.

I do more searches for a user contributed bridges but I'm not sure how well it'll work with subdomains in Drupal and Wordpress MU since user profiles are created slightly different. I've post the same question on those site too...Thanks!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:48 pm »

How could that application possibly do that? Subdomains work differently on different server setups. They probably do some mod_rewrite tricks by attempting to write into an .htaccess file. While that works for many users, it won't work everywhere. We (the coppermine dev team) have decided not to code for proprietary platforms, therefor we will not do such .htaccess manipulation. So the answer is: no, coppermine doesn't support that, nor do I think it should.
My personal 2 cent: think of subdomains as a geeky extra: the visitors of your site will hardly notice unless they are geeks themselves, which is usually not the case for the average user of a web gallery script. The feature seems pretty unimportant to me, taking into account the myriad of things that can go wrong with the technology set to "auto". I have never heard of anyone requesting it.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:59:16 pm »

This kind of system doesn't work by actually creating subdomains. You set up a wildcard DNS record for *.example.com so all subdomains are valid. The script then uses a rewrite to map these to the user. I'm not sure what the actual question is though. What is it you want Coppermine to do?

schwooba

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:02:41 am »

I wanted to setup a shared photo gallery where people can sign-up for their own accounts and upload their own images. So if I were to sign-up (schwooba), I would receive the subdomain: schwooba.domain.com. I would then be admin of that subdomain and I could add and delete pictures. The main or frontpage (domain.com) would have a list of all the galleries and pictures. Hope that makes sense...thanks!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:57 am »

As I suggested: coppermine doesn't create subdomains, nor will registered users be promoted to be admins within their own realm. You're looking for a different type of application - I don't think that coppermine is the right product for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.