Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: manual spam - alert box reminder?  (Read 7562 times)

marksalehouse

manual spam - alert box reminder?
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:59 pm »

I have installed version 1.4.23 and set up a private gallery - access is only by Admin authorisation and states this on the login/registration pages.
Spambots seem to be non existant. Recently I have been getting registrations from what I presume to be nosey humans.

What I would like to do is slip in an alert box within registration reminding the person that they will never get to see the picture gallery unless they are a member. This is in the hope that they will be discouraged from proceeding.

If possible, somthing with large and coloured text.

Thanks,

Mark

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: manual spam - alert box reminder?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:51:38 pm »

Next time post a link to your Coppermine - it's the rule of this forum

states this on the login/registration pages.

You won't slow anyone down with bold text, what would be the difference, a scary color?

Search around for "spam" - or even better search around for Captcha and use the plugin.

Otherwise you will have to futilely edit register.php every time that you upgrade.

marksalehouse

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:40:06 pm »

You don't understand.

I already have a tightened CAPTCHA screen, I know all about spam. This is something different.

People register without really reading stuff (sound familiar?). Therefor I want a second attempt at getting their attention. Yes, big, bold, colourful. Anything that will make them realise they are not going to see anything unless they are a member.

I do not mind having to Mod a page at every upgrade if it means no idiots registering.

Thanks for any help.

M

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:05:56 pm by i-imagine »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:05:29 am »

As suggested, you're welcome to make any part of the registration form stand out more in visual terms. As suggested as well, you failed to respect board rules although you have been told about them. Respect them from now one, posting a link to your gallery.

marksalehouse

marksalehouse

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:35:35 am »

Perhaps if I ask this question in another way?

On the main start page are several link boxes, one of which is Register. Where, and in what PHP file can this link to register.php be found?

Thank you.

marksalehouse

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:40:12 am »

http://www.strictlybdsm.co.uk/forum/gallery/index.php

Perhaps if I ask this question in another way?

On the main start page are several link boxes, one of which is Register. Where, and in what PHP file can this link to register.php be found?

Thank you.

PS: Ignore any other post - I accidentally clicked the wrong thing.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:46:14 am »

Your buttons and links are created in theme.php - if your theme does not have them defined, then you will find them in the /themes/sample/theme.php which can be copied to and modified for your theme.

However.........
You don't understand.

I already have a tightened CAPTCHA screen, I know all about spam. This is something different.

Your login and reg. page showed no captchas - the plugin or my mods would probably solve your issues.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:28:49 pm »

On your login screen you have added the text
YOU MUST HAVE MADE POSTS ON THE FORUM TO BE A MEMBER HERE!
Now that is a very silly thing: just enable bridging and use post-based groups. Then you can automatically only allow gallery access for members of a custom group that you become a member of when your post count is bigger than one

marksalehouse

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 02:08:04 pm »

i-imagine:
Thank you for your help.
I DID have the CAPTCHA plug-in installed and working, but I found that it was always there for registered members when they tried to log in. I took it off as I could find nothing that would allow registered users to login without it. I did find a solution but it appeared not to work for me.

Joachim
Now that is a very silly thing:

First off: this is all new to me and this Forum is supposed to help beginners. It is not nice to get a comment like that. It is even worse from a Moderator who should know better. And before you ban me outright just be aware that I have done stints as Help Forum Mods for years myself.

just enable bridging and use post-based groups. Then you can automatically only allow gallery access for members of a custom group that you become a member of when your post count is bigger than one

At the moment I am trying to find my feet here. Bridging would have been the next step I would have considered, even if it meant starting from scratch.

The thing about a gallery is - it is mine to use how I see fit, regardless of comments and attitude from others. It gets me into the swing of things, it gives me a chance to try things out.

Now, if at all possible.....................

When someone clicks the link to register, that link is in the code somewhere (a URL/URI?). I just want to know where it is so that I can interpose my own page inbetween. You may not like that approach Joachim but that is my decision.

Mark

PS: I could not figure out how to delete the two red entries in error.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:44:46 pm »

If
.........just be aware that I have done stints as Help Forum Mods for years myself.
then you should know that there is almost no greater waste of time and effort than trying to help someone who 1) doesn't know what they have and want and 2) someone who doesn't want to hear what they have been told.

and
.....gets me into the swing of things, it gives me a chance to try things out. ......
When someone clicks the link to register, that link is in the code somewhere (a URL/URI?). I just want to know
You have been informed already

Finally
First off: this is all new to me and this Forum is supposed to help beginners
The forum's rules require that you - as a newbie, or experienced - do your own studies, searches and know some of the basics.

As a rhetorical question only...why spend time arguing instead of addressing your problem? If you don't like the advice then just ignore it!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 03:01:32 pm by i-imagine »

marksalehouse

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 03:01:56 pm »

I HAVE been directing my efforts.
I HAVE spent hours on the Gallery.
I HAVE spent time here trying to get people to understand what I want.
I guess there is no point trying to get help from blinkered people. I KNOW what I want and HAVE asked. I have read what you all say and it is not the path I want to take just yet.

You answer is simple:
Open file xx.xxx
Go to line xxx
"blah blah" is the link you are looking for."

This is the sort of info I can get on any other help forum (like phpbb), so why not here? Why not tell me this instead of flaming me at every post?

Honestly? Do you really expect people to come here for help with that atttude?

I have just come across the perfect solution to all this.

This is a free world (with free speech), so I am junking the gallery and will go for one of the many other options now becoming available.

Goodbye guys - and keep wearing the Black Shirts  ;D ;D ;D

marksalehouse

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 03:05:00 pm »

BUMMER!

I just found out I cannot delete myself from this Forum so I guess I had better let Joachim have the pleasure!

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 03:17:03 pm »

You must be joking.
  • First you wanted to change the registration form
  • Now you want to change the registration link
  • You were ready to argue from the first reply**

You don't understand
**Is not quite the favorite phrase that most people would like to hear.  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:45:43 pm »

I just found out I cannot delete myself from this Forum so I guess I had better let Joachim have the pleasure!
No pleasure in deleting an account. Doing as you requested and deleting your account. Farewell
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.