Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no php . ini file on host, can't seem to create one on a Mac  (Read 4230 times)

faramir66103

• Coppermine newbie

Hi Folks, I'm really a newbie at web stuff and need some help.  I recently upgraded to the latest version of Coppermine, and now get the following message when I log in as an administrator:
The PHP setting register_globals is enabled on your server, which is a bad idea in terms of security. It's strongly recommended to turn it off.

In discussion with the tech support folks at godaddy, they want me to use some windows application to create a php.ini file with "register_globals = off" in the body and insert it into my root directory.  I'm a Mac guy all the way, and there's got to be a regular Mac application that can create the required file.  I've tried TextEdit, Stickies & Kompozer (my html editor).  None of them allow me to save the document with .ini as the file extension.

Could someone tell me how to create this file, or where to get a copy I can modify?

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Adam

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: no php . ini file on host, can't seem to create one on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:45:22 am »

We can't support you on your webhosting issues, and particularly not in your struggles on your Mac. If I were you, I'd create that file with whatever extension you can on your Mac (e.g. php.txt) and then (after uploading that file to the server using your FTP app) I'd rename that file (again using your FTP app) from "php.txt" to "php.ini". You really should get familiar with the Desktop app you're running - renaming a file is one of the core tasks - I don't think that it can be that hard on a Mac.
Attached is the file you requested, wrapped into a zip archive to be able to attach it. However, don't trust me nor don't rely on me or anyone else to come up with such a straightforward thing.

faramir66103

• Coppermine newbie
Re: no php . ini file on host, can't seem to create one on a Mac
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »

We can't support you on your webhosting issues, and particularly not in your struggles on your Mac. If I were you, I'd create that file with whatever extension you can on your Mac (e.g. php.txt) and then (after uploading that file to the server using your FTP app) I'd rename that file (again using your FTP app) from "php.txt" to "php.ini". You really should get familiar with the Desktop app you're running - renaming a file is one of the core tasks - I don't think that it can be that hard on a Mac.
Attached is the file you requested, wrapped into a zip archive to be able to attach it. However, don't trust me nor don't rely on me or anyone else to come up with such a straightforward thing.

Joachim, Thanks for the help.  Yesterday was a very tiring and frustrating day, and my Coppermine (I got hacked, it's not just the php issue) and GoDaddy (highly unusual terrible support) issues just pushed it over the edge.  This morning I woke up with several solutions including the ftp one you mentioned.  I understand that hosting and platform issues aren't the focus of these forums, and your help is greatly appreciated.  You're right, renaming a file on the mac is simple when in the base finder, but some applications won't let you do it as part of their save function.  In the clear light of morning, with a cup of coffee, and a quiet room to work in, it all seems pretty simple.

Again, thanks for the help and patience. 

Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.