Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help updating from 1.4.21 to 1.4.24  (Read 8405 times)

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
Help updating from 1.4.21 to 1.4.24
« on: June 21, 2009, 06:48:58 pm »

I need some help trying to upgrade my coppermine gallery from 1.4.21 to 1.4.24. I have read and done a search on how to do it by reading the upgrade documentation, but I am still confused on what I need to actually do. Once I download the zipped upgrade file and then unzipp it, do I then drag the updated files into the corresponding files in my old version folder and overwrite them. Then once overwritten in the folder do I replace the old outdated version on the server with the updated one on my computer? I ask this because I have been having trouble trying to do this and have messed up my gallery like 3 times already and have had it fixed. I thought I was doing it right but I guess not. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Help updating from 1.4.21 to 1.4.24
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »

A good idea in your case would be to do a practise on your desktop. How you may ask?

Well the first thing is do make a backup of your site (using your ftp app) and the database (using phpmyadmin or similar).

Once you have a backup you can install a program called Wamp ( http://www.wampserver.com/en/ ) on your desktop and install your copy of coppermine to that simply by copying the files you have downloaded to the www folder wamp has created and use the copy of phpmyadmin from the wamp install to install your database. The final part is to edit your include/config.inc.php to point to your local install.

What will this achieve? Well you will have a full backup of your site for a start, which is a very good thing to have. The extra 5 mins work that is involved by installing Wamp will give you a webserver on your desktop so you can test things like upgrading without doing any damage to your live site.

Once you have that backup (which may take some time if you have a large gallery) you can simply update it with additional files and dbase entries regularly so you will always have a backup and an area to experiment with modifications.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »

Thanks but I am still stumpted as to what I actually need to do. Do I drag and drop the new files and folders into the old folders and overwrite them? The only 3 I need to stay away from is the include/config.inc.php (which I don't see; I have a config.inc.php.sample in the include folder but no config.inc.php. I also have a config.php file but don't know if this is the one I leave alone.), anycontent.php. and the albums folder, is this correct? Sorry for all the questions.

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »

Well, I think I did it. The only question I have is when I do a version check do all the files need to be green or do some stay red and labeled 1.4.21. I also have a huge list of errors coming up at the bottom of the page. Here is the gallery page with the debug info and the errors at the bottom. http://www.chrishullphotography.com/gallery/index.php. Can someone tell me what all this means and what I can do to fix it?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:55 pm »

Do I drag and drop
No, drag'n drop sucks if you have no idea what you're actually doing.

The only question I have is when I do a version check do all the files need to be green or do some stay red and labeled 1.4.21.
What's your guess? Why did we come up with those colors and version numbers?

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:54:51 am »

What's your guess? Why did we come up with those colors and version numbers?
Can you tell me how to fix it then, please?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:53 am »

Here is the gallery page with the debug info and the errors at the bottom. http://www.chrishullphotography.com/gallery/index.php. Can someone tell me what all this means and what I can do to fix it?
Well, turn debug_mode off if you don't have issues. Never enable notices unless you're a developer. Read the documentation before applying features.

Can you tell me how to fix it then, please?
I already told you that we're not mind readers. As you failed to post details, what should we suggest?

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »

I turned debug off already. I have a few questions to ask in hopes of getting this upgrade finished. First, as I was upgrading from 1.4.24 a new upgrade came out (1.4.25) and is now my upgraded version. Why is it that when I do a version check it still brings up I have 1.4.24? Could this be because my webserver hasn't updated to 1.4.25 yet? I have yellow across the majority of it, although I do have 2 reds and they are the anycontent.php and config.php which are still version 1.4.21. How can I get those updated when in the documents it says  to don't overwrite those folders? I also have 1 mandatory file missing and that is the albums/edit/no_FTP-uploads_into_this_folder!. What is that and how come it is not there? And last is I have 1 green and it is the include/init.inc.php file that is version 1.4.24, which can not be overwritten as per the documentation but needs to be version 1.4.25, right? Or do I just leave it as 1.4.24?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:56:31 pm »

Could this be because my webserver hasn't updated to 1.4.25 yet?
Huh ???
I have yellow across the majority of it
Really? How entertaining. Why don't you attach a screenshot instead of those lengthy explanations?
although I do have 2 reds and they are the anycontent.php and config.php which are still version 1.4.21. How can I get those updated when in the documents it says  to don't overwrite those folders?
Obviously it's expected behaviour that they will display as being outdated if you haven't replaced them.

I also have 1 mandatory file missing and that is the albums/edit/no_FTP-uploads_into_this_folder!.
Has been asked and answered many times over alread: that's OK, forget that file.

What is that and how come it is not there?
Search the board if you need details. Doesn't matter at all though. It's fine if you don't have that file.

And last is I have 1 green and it is the include/init.inc.php file that is version 1.4.24
Why?

which can not be overwritten as per the documentation
Who says so?

red04svtcobra

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:16:37 am »

Thats what this says doesn't it? "This script goes through the files on your webserver and tries to determine if your local file versions on the webserver are the same as the ones from the repository at http://coppermine.sourceforge.net, this way displaying the files you were meant to update as well." Or am I reading it wrong?

I can only post a screenshot if I am logged in as the admin and when I log out it is unviewable. So explain to me how I am supposed to do this. ???

You are telling me it is expected behavior when I haven't replaced those files, but you also told me all files need to be green, "why do you think we come up with those colors and version #'s". Do I leave it red?

As far as the question about the include/init.inc.php file that is version 1.4.24 and green that you answered "why". I don't know thats why I am asking.

I don't understand why I can't just get a straight answer and have to take wild guesses. I come here for questions because I have problems and seek advice, why can't I get that. You have to realize I am NEW to all this and have the slightest clue as to what I need to do in some circumstances and when you post no advice to help me out (such as the post above) it just makes it harder because I have to take wild guesses in hopes I don't screw something up in the process. I was hoping to have this done by today but it doesn't look that way.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:59:14 am »

You should spend a little bit more time searching, reading and learning. Some of what you ask for is very basic and the answers can be found very easily. With your Coppermine installation you have become a webmaster and should learn a little to make life for yourself easier in the future,

For example: Search Google for "screenshot" -    you will get this among other answers.......

The documents that came with your Coppermine  describe what you are looking for as regards the version check tool

Take your time, don't worry, you will do just fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.