Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory error  (Read 6639 times)

feinstee

• Coppermine newbie
Memory error
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:08:38 pm »

I just installed coppermine on my installation at hostmonster.com - when I tried an upload, I got the following:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 13056 bytes) in /home/kjksnaps/public_html/coppermine/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 262

How do I fix this and allow larger memory allocation?

Thanks,
Eric

Nibbler

nhammack

• Coppermine newbie
  • IamDexter
    • www.nathanhammack.com
Re: Memory error
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:56:18 pm »

http://www.sssalbatross.org/gallery
Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4.26 (stable)

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2736 bytes) in /home2/sssalbat/public_html/gallery/include/picmgmt.inc.php  on line 262

So I've encountered the same thing and I've modified my "Files and thumbnails settings" & it still doesn't correct it.

Max size for uploaded files (KB): 3000
Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos (pixels): 1600
Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height: Yes:Everyone

The images I'm batch uploading are: (W)3648 x (H)2736 (approximately 1.7 MB in size total per each image)

According to what I read in the config, it's suppose to "Auto resize" images that are large then the size I specified right?
Shouldn't once it's been uploaded scale the size automatically down to (W)1600 x (H)1200 since I said 1600?

I too am using HostMonster with an unlimited storage plan... I don't think that matters but I thought I'd add that in as well.

Any help would be much appreciated as it's not doing what it says it will do for you. I don't want to have to spend an hour in photoshop having to resize hundreds of pictures if the config says it will do it for me. :\

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:32 am »

According to what I read in the config, it's suppose to "Auto resize" images that are large then the size I specified right?

No, not at all. You should set "Enable help-icons" in Config >> General Settings so that you can use the built in help that is available to you as you learn. To quote from the pop-up in the setting you refer to...
Users with especially large files should be advised to resize their pictures outside of coppermine before uploading as this process also consumes considerable resources when processed online..

You should also read up on the memory usage in Coppermine in your Document package.
4.11.6 Error messages
You can calculate how much memory each image would use with the formula in that section - what counts are pixels. And you must keep in mind that Coppermine itself is using memory in addition to the image processor.

Yes, you can ask your host to increase the memory limit to 64Mb, but.....

Since you do have Photoshop you will be better off to learn how to create "batch processes" within Photoshop. Even my old version 6.0 could resize a lot of images and also apply steps like sharpening to massive amounts of files much more quickly than the server could. Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

nhammack

• Coppermine newbie
  • IamDexter
    • www.nathanhammack.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:51 am »

No, not at all. You should set "Enable help-icons" in Config >> General Settings so that you can use the built in help that is available to you as you learn. To quote from the pop-up in the setting you refer to...

When clicking on the help icon to the right of the text box that will allow you the option to "Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos (pixels)" it says:

Auto resize images that are larger than max width or height

During the upload process, if images are larger than the maximum width or height allowed they will automatically be resized to the maximum allowable size. Users with especially large files should be advised to resize their pictures outside of coppermine before uploading as this process also consumes considerable resources when processed online.

Note: How the image is resized (width/height/max aspect) is set in the admin option "Use dimension (width or height or Max aspect for thumbnail)"

There are three options:

* No - Disabled
    * Yes: Everyone - Enabled for all users, including the Admin during batch-add process.
    * Yes: User only - Enabled only for regular users

[cpg1.4.0 or better required]

To me this sounded as such that it will auto resize my images upon batch uploading as stated in the "Yes: Everyone" option.

You should also read up on the memory usage in Coppermine in your Document package.
4.11.6 Error messages
You can calculate how much memory each image would use with the formula in that section - what counts are pixels. And you must keep in mind that Coppermine itself is using memory in addition to the image processor.

Yes, you can ask your host to increase the memory limit to 64Mb, but.....

Since you do have Photoshop you will be better off to learn how to create "batch processes" within Photoshop. Even my old version 6.0 could resize a lot of images and also apply steps like sharpening to massive amounts of files much more quickly than the server could. Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for your concern, and I'm quite familiar with batch processing photos in Photoshop using automation. The problem there is not every photo is the same resolution as some people tend to flip the camera sideways... and if you've set a particular size in that batch automation process in Photoshop, it will kill that particular resolution very quickly & you'll end up with a funky looking image that is stretched.

The reason for wanting to know about auto resizing is that the folks I'm working with are just barely learning how to use an ftp let alone dragging and dropping their photos in new folders they create in the album section. They're not very familiar with image resolution editing prior to uploading to the Coppermine gallery in the hosted server. I know Coppermine auto resizes images (thumbnail & normal) I just thought it was a cool option to have if the original images are larger then I've specified in the config that those too would be resized during the batch upload process and be replaced. I guess i was sadly mistaken thinking this way indeed possible. I was just trying to make it one less step for the Ship to have to worry about.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:52:20 am »

Then read the batch-resizing tutorial that can be found on http://coppermine-gallery.net/tutorial/ that takes care of mixed portrait and landscape formats. I'm pretty sure that Photoshop can do a similar thing as well.

nhammack

• Coppermine newbie
  • IamDexter
    • www.nathanhammack.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:04 am »

I believe I just touched on that...

What I was stating is that the folks I'm working with are just barely learning how to use an ftp let alone dragging and dropping their photos in new folders they create in the album section. They're not very familiar with image resolution editing prior to uploading to the Coppermine gallery in the hosted server. Granted I can help them do this but I'm trying to allow them to add content on their own.

What I don't understand is that Coppinemine flat out says within the config... "During the upload process, if images are larger than the maximum width or height allowed they will automatically be resized to the maximum allowable size.[/b]" It obviously isn't doing that, so why advertise it as such if it won't do it upon uploading the content?

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 11:56:05 am »

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#ErrorAllowedMemorySize

I too am using HostMonster with an unlimited storage plan...
That means absolutely nothing in this context. You need more memory to be available.
.......you can ask your host to increase the memory limit to 64Mb, but.....
So why don't you try that instead of coming back to needlessly question the application when the limitation is one of hardware?

And lastly
...... the folks I'm working with are just barely learning how to use an ftp let alone dragging and dropping their photos in new folders they create in the album section...........
Hopefully for your sake you have made a mistake with this statement. If you are truly allowing users to ftp content to your gallery with access to batch upload then memory will not be your biggest concern

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:26:57 pm »

What I don't understand is that Coppinemine flat out says within the config... "During the upload process, if images are larger than the maximum width or height allowed they will automatically be resized to the maximum allowable size.[/b]" It obviously isn't doing that, so why advertise it as such if it won't do it upon uploading the content?
Coppermine will do that if the server fullfills the needed pre-requisites, i.e. if it has got enough RAM available to process the files. Coppermine can not circumvent limitations on your webserver that are imposed by your webhost. You're saying this as if we were liars. Coppermine works exactly as advertized for me and many, many other people. Blaming us for something that is wrong on your end is lame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.