Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why am I receiving this error when batch uploading?  (Read 4690 times)

computerwhiz

• Coppermine newbie
Why am I receiving this error when batch uploading?
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »

Hi,

I am receiving "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 14592 bytes) in /home/napavall/public_html/cpg14x/include/picmgmt.inc.php on line 262" when I batch upload. 

It happens when I see the thumbnail has a question mark (missing image) where there are normally those little icons that tell you if they are successful.  If I click on those, the fatal error message is displayed.

What's the problem?

Photo gallery is www.napavalleyvines.com/cpg14x

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Why am I receiving this error when batch uploading?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 01:11:37 am »

What's the problem?
There are two of them as far as I can see:
1) you failed to read the docs
2) you chose the wrong nickname ;)

computerwhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:02:00 am »

I'm really sorry.  The manual is so long and is impossible to read.  I used this username on other forums too.

I am not the server administrator so I have contacted the administrator to fix it.

Thanks for you help.

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:55 am »

The manual is so long and is impossible to read.
Reading the index or searching for a keyword with the browser feature would easly lead to the link that Joachim provide.

Regards,
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:26 am »

The manual is so long and is impossible to read.
That's a lame excuse. As Fabricio suggested, you just search for the error message you get. Take a look at the search results for "Allowed memory size": board search | google | search in documentation
Pretty easy. Something you could expect from a "computerwhiz".

I am not the server administrator so I have contacted the administrator to fix it.
It's not an error on their end, but just a limitation that comes with your hosting contract. As it's not caused by a mistake on their end, they will not "fix" it - there's nothing to fix, as there is nothing broken. The file you uploaded just is too large in terms of dimensions, that's all. You didn't even read the answer I gave, did you? Let me repeat it to you:
Error message: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of XXXXXXX bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate XXXX bytes) in /var/www/html/include/picmgmt.inc.php
Possible cause: This error occurs when using GD and attempting to upload a high resoltuion image. It's not the size of the file that matters here; it's the number of pixels that determine memory use in GD.
Suggested fix: There is (at least in theory) no limit in Coppermine to the file size or dimensions that the script can handle. However, there is at least one limit existing on the webserver: resizing images (to create intermediate images and/or thumbnails) consumes memory and burns CPU cylces. To prevent the server from crashing, the server admin has to restrict the amount of memory that a PHP script is allowed to consume. The error message mentioned above means that the limit imposed by the server admin has been reached, i.e. the image that the script tried to process consumed to much memory.
  • Alternative 1 (ideal):
    Increase the memory limit allocation in php.ini. You must be the server's administrator to do this. Also, .htaccess files cannot change this configuration setting, and it cannot be changed using ini_set(). First, you locate the following block in php.ini (if you actually are the server admin):

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; Resource Limits ;
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
    memory_limit = 8M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

Now you increase the memory limit to fit your needs. 9 to 16 MB should handle most requirements. To calculate the amount of memory an image uses, you simply multiply the pixel width and height, and then you multiply the result by the number of base colors (RGB - 3, CMYK - 4). Finally, you divide by 1048576 to get the memory usage in MB.
    Here are some common image resolutions and their memory use in GD (assuming RGB):
        *  800 x 600 - 1.37 MB
        * 1024 x 768 - 2.25 MB
        * 1200 x 1600 - 5.49 MB
    Remember when using the above figures that the amount of memory being used by the rest of Coppermine must be taken into account, too.
    If you are unable to change php.ini settings yourself, you can always ask your server administrator to change this for you. However, most administrators (especially on shared webhsoting) will be reluctant to do so, as this setting will affect everyone on a shared server. A higher memory limit requires reducing the number of people who can be hosted on the same server in order to maintain server stability. This reduces profitability, etc.
    If you cannot change php.ini, you should read alternatives 2 and 3.
  • Alternative 2 (sensible):
    Resize your images before uploading if you do not require high resolution images. This saves upload bandwidth and time for you.
  • Alternative 3 (workaround):
    You may download one of many free programs that resize images. Then resize the images to a smaller resolution (like 800 x 600) by the batch into a different folder while maintaining the same filenames.
    Upload the resized images to Coppermine. Then use your FTP client to overwrite the images with the higher resolution images.

computerwhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:30:55 pm »

Yes, I did read it and I said that I was going to contact the server admin. to change the memory limit in the php.ini file.  My browser doesn't have a search figure and I did not think of Google.

I'm really sorry.  ???

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:48:32 pm »

My browser doesn't have a search figure
Never heard of a browser without a search feature - even IE has that.

Anyway: issue solved?

computerwhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 03:57:26 am »

Yes.  Issue Solved.  I am using Safari.  Where do I search?

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:14:30 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Safari_3.2.1_on_OS_X_10.5.png

At the top right, where it says "Google"  ::)

This is a Coppermine Support Forum, not a browsers one. Google it if you need more help.

"computerwhiz"  :-X
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.