Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image "Shrink Wrap"  (Read 2699 times)

Scoottie

• Coppermine newbie
Image "Shrink Wrap"
« on: May 28, 2009, 01:17:47 am »

Looking around the web I found an interesting way of putting a transparent image over another image that would be set as the background to protect the background image from being drag and drop copied (kind of like shrink wrapping food) and was wondering if there is (or will be) a way to do this with coppermine?

I would have posted this in General Discussion but that forum is blocked so sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Or if not, I know that with IE if you try and drag and drop an image it will actually save the href rather than the img src.  So maybe there is a way to implement (if it isnt already) a way to do this in coopermine.  If there is a way to stop people from being able to drag and drop images in coppermine how do i do it?  And yes i know there is no 100% way of stopping everyone from getting the images.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Image "Shrink Wrap"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 04:37:48 am »

Next time try searching before asking,  "prevent right click" is a much shorter phrase than your post.
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,33782.0.html

Scoottie

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »

I would say thanks but i wont since I did search before posting so there is no need for you opening statement

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:08:21 pm »

IMHO this is really a pointless excercise. It is quite easy to find the URL of the image and download it. In fact, when you view any image online a copy is made to your machine. Trying to prevent right click or addaing a wrapper is a waste of effort.

The best method of protecting your work is to use a combination of lowish quality images coupled with a watermark generated before upload.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:23:04 pm »

Agreed and aggravated.
Agreed - embedded watermarking and/or the low-quality are the only methods to use.
Aggravated - with web sites that play games with basic browser functions, so I'd never use the mod. myself.

But if someone desires to wear a heavy coat on a hot summer day...... who am I to stop them?
Could this now be marked as solved? Would the original poster please do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.