Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: what solution do you use for IE- AND FF-visitors for showing/playing videofiles?  (Read 3237 times)

donsenilo

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Bookmarks (Links), Grafik, Musik, Movies (Filme), DVD's, CD's, Amazon-Shop by Starmaker - Mark Tailor

hello

I've tried many things (different code, plugins and so on) but nothing works in that way that the visitor (especially FF-Users) can show/play videofiles (wmv, avi) without installing AND restarting the browser.
Tested (restart of the FF-browser):
jw-player (needs silverlight-download, installation and restart of the browser)
divx-webplayer (needs download, installation and restart of the browser)
and some other ideas (converting all files to flv but they look crappy).

so, whats the ultimate solution for IE- and FF-Users if they have no plugin or other software installed and want to view the video ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:08:25 pm by Joachim Müller »

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

Not really coppermine related but flv is the way to go IMO. You just need a decent encoder.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

donsenilo

• Bookmarks (Links), Grafik, Musik, Movies (Filme), DVD's, CD's, Amazon-Shop by Starmaker - Mark Tailor

Not really coppermine related but flv is the way to go IMO. You just need a decent encoder.

hello phill

I think, this is coppermine related because it has the possibility to upload/show/play/whatever videofiles. and I also think that I'm not the only one who has video-clips in the coppermine-album.
I only want to know, what other people do to solve that IE/FF-problem.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

Coppermine is only a container for files. How the user chooses to encode and display them is up to them. Coppermine can also upload plain text files, you wouldn't come on here and ask how to create or display them would you? That is why I feel this question is not really coppermine related.

Having said that, there are many different mods and plugins to allow you to play flv files such as enlargit -
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,53290.0.html - amongst many others.

Here are some examples of well encoded flv files (though not in an coppermine gallery but I could easilly upload them there). As you can see, they need not look crappy.

http://www.topazdigitalmedia.com/work.html

To get the answers to this you really want I suggest you google something like "best video web" or other similar search terms, as that is what you are really asking.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page

Phill Luckhurst is right in directing you towards the most common and popular video player.
What you ask in your first post
so, whats the ultimate solution for IE- and FF-Users if they have no plugin or other software installed and want to view the video?
isn't possible at all IMO.
The best that you can strive for is something that works for "most visitors". - Good Luck!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

so, whats the ultimate solution for IE- and FF-Users if they have no plugin or other software installed and want to view the video ?
Those who do not have a plugin or other software installed can't watch videos - it's as simple as that. Your question sounds like "how can I get pregnant without sex or artificial insemination"? The answer to both questions is: not at all. No Microsoft operating system ever came with support for flash movies out of the box, so users need software installed to play flash. If you want to provide a movie file that all Windows users can watch without using additional software, use a codec that is supported by Microsoft operating systems out of the box - that's wmv. Won't work on Linux or Mac out of the box, but worth a try if you want "easy". Don't blame us that the world of computing can be complicated for newbies - we haven't invented it.
Your question clearly isn't coppermine related, but related to a misconception of what coppermine is or can be: it's a server-sided app. It can not be a client-sided swiss army knife player for your multimedia content.

donsenilo

ok, sorry. please close this thread. thx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.