Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phpBB Username charset issue in bridged mode  (Read 6389 times)

angeld

• Coppermine newbie
phpBB Username charset issue in bridged mode
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:29:35 am »

Coppermine install: http://www.bgaudioclub.org/gallery
Coppermine version: cpg1.4.22
Forum version: phpBB v2.0.19
Test user account: maia / 1111

BridgeManager settings:
Forum URL:    http://www.bgaudioclub.org/forum
Relative path to your BBS's config file:    ../forum/
Use post-based groups?:    1
Cookie prefix:    phpbb2mysql

Bridging works fine now, thanks to Nibbler!
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,59405.msg293102.html#msg293102

The <last> problem: some of our forum users have their nicknames in Cyrillic. The default encoding in the forum and the database is Windows-1251, and it does not appear on the list of options in Coppermine. As a result, nicks are misread and names appear as <?>'s. All functions, however, appear to work normally despite this.

Couldn't find relevant help in the documentation, nor the forum...

angeld

• Coppermine newbie
Re: phpBB Username charset issue in bridged mode
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:24 am »

One more issue: when 'Bulgarian' is selected in CPG, all text on screen looks fine, but when I copy the lang file to my local drive (FTP) for editing the translation, characters are encoded incorrectly and I get a file full of garbage. Maybe this issue is linked to the above?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:31:05 pm »

Different encodings will result in errors. Proprietary Windows-1251 is not recommended - I'm pretty sure that you can convert your forum app to use Unicode as well. This would solve your issues.

One more issue: when 'Bulgarian' is selected in CPG, all text on screen looks fine, but when I copy the lang file to my local drive (FTP) for editing the translation, characters are encoded incorrectly and I get a file full of garbage. Maybe this issue is linked to the above?
Make sure that you're using an editor that is capable to work with utf-8. Take a look at the tools recommended by the devs.

angeld

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:44:18 pm »

Thanks, Joachim, I appreciate your effort to respond to my questions.

Actually, Windows-1251 is the de-facto standard for Bulgarian web pages, and I'd really appreciate a hint how to add it to the existing list of optoions in gpg and make cpg compatible with the forum, not vice-versa. Same goes for editing: I use FireFTP and Wordpad, which works fine for everything else, except cpg...

As a side note, when I had to change the cookie path in order to bridge cpg to the forum, that created a wave of chaos: many users had trouble logging in until they cleared the private data in their browsers, and most of them are NOT programming experts, just plan users. A conversion of the charset of the forum looks like a VERY dangerous exercise to me, and I would not risk crashing. It has been up for almost 3 years, over 3,000 registered users and >100,000 posts, so you understand, I hope.

Please don't misunderstand me: you probably did the "right thing", selecting UTF-8, but your suggestion sounds like an attempt at swimming against the tide.

So, is there a way to add Windows-1251 to the list? See attachment.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:45 pm »

If you really want to do it that way select the 'language file' option, set the $lang_charset to windows-1251 in the Bulgarian language file and convert the language file itself to windows-1251. Then delete all the other language files.

angeld

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:32:53 pm »

OK, done that, it works! Thanks again, Nibbler!  :)

So, finally, where does CPG keep this list of available chrsets, as per the attached screenshot?
My issue has been resolved, I'd just like to know.

Thanks again, guys!

Nibbler

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »

It's just coded into admin.php

kromnaios

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:58:13 pm »

I have a similar problem. The encoding in the forum, the Coppermine and their databases is UTF-8. Some names in forum are in Greek and in Coppermine looks like ???????. Also many custom groups are in Greek and have the same problem. What can i do?

Coppermine version: cpg 1.4.24
Forum version: phpbb 3.0.5

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:47:16 pm »

And locking. Start a thread of your own, doing as suggested in the sticky and as per board rules.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.