Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting the wrap length of a comment or description  (Read 6518 times)

heavensportal

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • The Fantasy Attic
setting the wrap length of a comment or description
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:27:26 am »

Is there a way/code to add to the .css or another file to make the comment/description set to a certain line length? So that when they write their description or comment it does not stretch the page out of proportion. We seem to have some that stretch the page so badly it appears there is not an mage until you side scroll to find it.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: setting the wrap length of a comment or description
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »

Try the overflow attribute. You might also want to look into the white space attribute.
If this doesn't solve your question, you might consider that we're not mind readers: post a link to your gallery for a start...

heavensportal

• The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:21:22 am »

you are not a mind reader...lolI tell folks that one too.

I did try the overflow and white space...I added it from another theme but it did no good so I have come to the realization that there are just some cpg themes like smf themes that will not work the way the others do. I just deleted it and added a new theme and got no stretching of the section at all.

I thought maybe there was a different thing to try that I did not know of....which is a lot since I am still learning a lot of this stuff.

Fortunately your gallery software rocks so it is just the ones that create the themes that need some adjusting...and possibly like other items, once an update occurs they just might not work with the new update.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:17 am »

once an update occurs they just might not work with the new update.
Usually, this doesn't happen. Definitely doesn't happen as far as CSS is concerned. Sounds a bit vague and nonsensical. Start a new thread for an actual example where this happened: show us where an update changed the look.

I just deleted it and added a new theme and got no stretching of the section at all.
You gave up too soon. Why didn't you do as I suggested: you were meant to post a link to your gallery. Not too much asked imo.

I added it from another theme
Hm that sounds odd. Why didn't you just type it in, trying to understand the reference I have pasted in above instead of just blindly pasting stuff in from another theme?

so I have come to the realization that there are just some cpg themes like smf themes that will not work the way the others do.
That's of course nonsense: you draw the wrong conclusions.

heavensportal

• The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:14:55 am »

sorry, and yes I did give up quickly for the members were complaining too much and we were in the middle of a contest.

If it whould happen again with a different them then I will do that...right now things are back to normal.

It was with a theme that I had "redecorated" with different colors and a header, not codes though those were the original....it was using the Lord of the Rings Theme by Vereor that was ported to CPG by DaMysterious

Thanks for your help, um I did type it into the theme--the info. I just used another one for reference...but it was not a CPG theme but a regular board theme. I did notice that there are no other references like that in any CPG theme...certainly not the ones I am using right now unless I totally missed it in the .css file.

http://thefantasiesattic.net/cpg/index.php is the gallery, open for guest to view but not to post into.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:14:35 am »

http://thefantasiesattic.net/cpg/index.php is the gallery, open for guest to view but not to post into.
I get a white page there. Going to http://thefantasiesattic.net/ and then clicking on the gallery link sends me to http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/cpg/index.php, which shows a coppermine-driven page with the transmission theme.

sorry, and yes I did give up quickly for the members were complaining too much and we were in the middle of a contest.
You can work on a theme without your visitors noticing - you just add the theme name as parameter to the URL, as suggested in the tipps and tricks section of the docs. As you allow indexes (not a bright move btw.) I could see what themes you have uploaded to http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/cpg/themes/ - you have dm_legend, quidditch, rainy_day and your current default theme transmission. To view the entire gallery with the dm_legend theme, you just add ?theme=dm_legend to the URL (http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/cpg/index.php?theme=dm_legend in your case) and you will see the gallery using that theme. Nobody else will be seeing it that way, so you can savely play with it unless you got the theme right. To toggle the display back to the default theme, simply specify a theme name that doesn't exist as parameter, e.g. http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/cpg/index.php?theme=xxx
Once you're happy with your new theme, make the theme available to all your visitors by specifying it as default theme in coppermine's config.
Don't offer a theme selector to your users - that's silly and confusing and makes only sense for us on the demo. There are some reasons for offering a different theme for users, but none of them apply to your site: it can make sense to offer a theme with bigger fonts or better contrast for users with impaired eyesight. That's not the case for you - you just show off different themes, which just makes the overall look of your site break. It doesn't make sense. Use one theme and get rid of the theme selector. And turn indexes off (not related to coppermine though, but a matter of webserver setup, so please google for that if you have no idea what I mean).

Joachim

P.S. The text
ATTENTION:

Please do not use any of these special characters: $ /\ \ : * ? " ' < > | ` &
in your titles or image names. The software will not allow them and if your image loads it will totally disappear later by itself.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Size restrictions are 1200x1200 and 400 kb or less. Thank you.
doesn't belong on your index page, but on the uploads page (if at all). Visitors on Windows can't use those characters (at least most of them) anyway, so there's little point in telling them they can't name their files "\my/file*jpg" - they won't be able to do so anyway - their operating swystem will tell them if they should try. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:20:57 am by Joachim Müller »

heavensportal

• The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:53:34 pm »

ok, yes I know and I have several different members that find some themes hard on their eyes hence the theme selecter, they can choose the one they wish to use.

I wrote the special characters notice in the content because we ahd one that managed to  enter those characters and her images went away from the album and I keep forgetting to remove it again.

Thank you for all your advice it is greatly appreciated.

djstew22

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:15:11 am »

im having this problem on my set up with descriptions totally blowing out the page view. i have tried to add the white space code to my css file in the .img_caption_table td section but didnt work. this is happening in firefox but not in IE. i have checked this in other themes also and its the same in all. my version of FF is 3.5, the latest. i know half of my community uses FF browser and asking for help to fix this. here's a link to a picture page to show you what its doing if you use the firefox browser. http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2072

thanks for any help.  :)

heavensportal

• The Fantasy Attic
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:40:33 am »

hope you get an answer...I  usually just have myself or another admin go in and adjust their text in the caption area there...several themes will extend like that while others do not.

Nibbler

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:44:26 am »

You are specifically setting white-space: nowrap here:

Code: [Select]
<td class="display_media" style="padding: 0px; white-space: nowrap;" height="100" valign="top" align="center">

Remove that and it will wrap. Magic.

djstew22

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:30 pm »

that kinda did the trick. instead of removing it, i just changed nowrap to wrap. if any of you want to know where to look, its in your php file.

Code: [Select]
<td align="center" valign="top" class="display_media" height="{CELL_HEIGHT}" style="white-space: wrap; padding: 0px;">
thanks for your help

Nibbler

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:49:04 pm »

'wrap' is not a valid value for white-space. See http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/pr_text_white-space.asp
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.