Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permission settings......  (Read 5342 times)

jakewc2

• Coppermine novice
Permission settings......
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »

I have started a new thread because I have just read the rules about one subject per thread.

Its about Permissions. I cannot use 777 because I have had my mod_security settings turned off, as they conflict with my blog and my MODX CMS. I notice that you tell people to have some of the setting set to 777, but that leaves me open to security problems and hacking. Does that mean I cannot use this gallery?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Permission settings......
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:42:05 pm »

No, not at all. What you need is to have the files and folders suggested in the docs writable by the script. So it depends on who owns those folders.

You will need to do a little research into what file permissions mean and what groups and ownerships mean to fully understand it though it is quite simple.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

jakewc2

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:46 pm »

Hi, thank you for your message. I have ownership, and can change permissions of all the files. I have them set to 755. My host, if they find them set at 777 e-mail me to tell me to change them back to something else, with a reminder. That's how I know about the mod_security being disabled. I was just wondering, as the Documentation talks about using 777 on things like the /albums. /users, /edit and /includes folder, that if I dont have that, will the gallery will not work.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »

It also mentions 755. If you have problem with the mentioned folders set to 755 then you will need to speak to your host who should be able to set the correct ownership for you.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

jakewc2

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:42 am »

I can use 755, it was the 777, that would have been a problem.

Thank you.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:09:19 am »

Its about Permissions.
Then why did you start your thread on the install board if you have a question on permissions? Moving accordingly.

I can use 755, it was the 777, that would have been a problem.
You should have read the docs. There is a permission section in the docs. The most important piece of information on permission issues is written in red to make sure that people like you read it, anyway you appear not to have read it, so let me quote it here:
If you can't figure how to set permissions properly, ask your webhost for support.
It does not say: ask for support on the Coppermine support board. It says to ask your webhost for permission issues. Reason is quite simple: we don't know your server setup, so we can't know what CHMOD level will be OK for you.

I notice that you tell people to have some of the setting set to 777
Where? Post reference to where we advise people to CHMOD to 777?

jakewc2

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:57 pm »

Where did I ask you to explain about what permissions mean? I did not ask that. I asked about if the album would work if I couldnt use those (as in 777) permissions. I think you are so hell bent on making this so difficult to learn, you dont even read posts properly, you just see something and jump. I explained to you in my first post, the reason I was asking, I wasnt asking you to explain what it means. Again, you have taken great delight in ripping me to shreds, and giving no explanation about the problem I was asking about.

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46:50 pm »

I asked about if the album would work if I couldnt use those (as in 777) permissions.
And Phill already gave you an answer. So you have now your doubt clear.

Locking.
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.