Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quicktime Troubles  (Read 3377 times)

Blain

• Coppermine newbie
Quicktime Troubles
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:36:08 pm »

Hello and forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I apologies. - I admit that I visit here infrequently yet I have made an attempt to read for the answer before asking. I downloaded a video converter, so I may convert .avi files to .mov and therefore upload them using Quicktime on to my Coppermine Board.

The first few .mov files (low file size) uploaded via the Upload a File interface very easily. The second two were larger and I experienced problems, so I batch uploaded them to get them into their specific Album. This worked fine. As far as playing the movies, however - I find that the Movies (the larger two especially), do not play very well and certainly not right away. - Most times it takes a few page refreshes and a 3-5 minute wait before the quicktime movie plays, and sometimes it won't unless I play the smaller files first.

My two-part question is as follows:

Is it Quicktime,or Coppermine that is giving me the Video play-back problems explained above? - and what other options for video players would you suggest, that might perhaps be more efficient and easy that Quicktime? I can currently create .mov, .wmv, .avi, .flv, .mpg, .asf, .3gp - I'm not sure if all of these would be accepted through Coppermine, but which, if any, would be best?

Cheers and a huge thank you for a somewhat details response, I really appreciate it.

Take care,

(The Gallery is currently Members-only, so it would not be beneficial to provide a link to it, or I would).

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Quicktime Troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:17:57 pm »

If you can't or won't create a public area/album/link for help then it looks like this will be your secret problem.
(The Gallery is currently Members-only, so it would not be beneficial to provide a link to it, or I would).
Beyond that I would suggest that you confirm your server and your network is delivering content quickly...(like upload/download a large image/text/avi) You are right, this should probably go to Miscellaneous .

Blain

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Coppermine Video Troubles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:16:54 pm »

Hey I-Imagine, I can appreciate that,

Having said that, I'll ask this:

- Since I have my Coppermine Viewing Gallery currently set to Members-only, with each Album therein, set to Public (everyone can view), would I then, if I were to make just 1 Album viewable to everyone and the rest hidden, I would have to do this:

*Go into Config, and the options within the User settings field. Inside there, set "Allow unlogged users (guest or anonymous) access" to yes.
*From there, since every Album (of over 500 in total) is set to 'everyone can view', I would have to edit each individual Album, setting its respective rights, viewable only to 'Members of the "Registered" Group'.

----------

Am I right in this regard? I basically need to make the whole Gallery visible while tweaking each Album to Members of the Registered Group? If so that is a most notable flaw. A fix that would eliminate any problems, would be to have the Album's Proprieties be changed when the Admin selects his Gallery to be Member's only or 'not viewable to guests'. Either that, or have the Properties be set to default at: "Viewable only to Members of the Registered Group".
----------
Since 'public' viewable by all is default and I have already created each Album, I now need to first open up the Gallery to guests, then hide each individual Album exclusively to the Members of the Registered Group through the Album's Properties. Each Album from then on, if I wished it viewable to everyone including guests, would have to be at Public (viewable by all) and they would be displayed to guests at index (home).

Does this sum it up? - I suppose I am just confused why there is not an option in place where one Album can be viewable to guests, without the entire Gallery being set to completely open or completely closed.

Please do point out anything I am missing here.

Cheers,

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »

Sorry that I can't help without getting you and me lost and off the first topic: the types of movies that you are having trouble with.
I find that the Movies (the larger two especially), do not play very well
My suggestion for testing your server's bandwidth/delivery is about the best I can do with my novice level knowledge. You might find it more efficient timewise to try different types/sizes of movies after reading the docs and searching this board. That's what I would do if I were in your seat and still do today. With
285221 Posts
in this forum the detailed answer you seek very well may have been written before.  Sorry I can't help more.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:37:59 pm »

Convert them to flv and use the flv player mod. Actually playing the movies is the job of the browser/media plugins, not Coppermine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.