Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing hosts  (Read 2766 times)

WyllyWylly

• Coppermine newbie
    • Broge.com
Changing hosts
« on: May 03, 2004, 06:54:37 am »

Hi, sorry if this is a repeat question - if so, please point me at the thread that I need to read.

I'm changing hosting providers, and I have a few general questions about the move:

1) My previous host did not support ImageMagick, but the new one does. I'd like to use IM instead of GD - are there any problems or gotchas that I should be aware of after I restore the database and change the image lib? Should I regenerate the thumbs and resized pictures after enabling IM?

2) Are there any general gotchas when moving? I've recreated the DB on the new host from a SQL dump, and I plan to move the album directories up  exactly as they are on the current host. In theory, this should work, but if there is anything that I should know about...please advise!

If it matters, I am moving from Redhat 7.x to a FreeBSD host. I doubt that it will affect anything but who knows?

Thanks in advance. I love this script!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Changing hosts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:44:41 am »

The image lib (GD or IM) are only used when new pics are added to the database, so the migration should run smoothly no matter what image lib you have. After migration, go to coppermine config and choose the lib you want to use there.
There have been various threads dealing with this issue with detailed steps for server migration, search the board.
The OS of the webserver doesn't matter at all...

GauGau

WyllyWylly

• Coppermine newbie
    • Broge.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 07:55:01 am »

Thanks for the swift reply. I must have used the wrong keywords when I searched initially...I'll have another go at it.  :)

Is there any real benefit to regenerating the thumbs etc with ImageMagick as opposed to GD?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 08:16:34 am »

There will be no visible difference between thumbnails created with GD2 and ImageMagick imo, there's only a big difference in quality between GD1 and GD2/ImageMagick (see http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php?q=GD1vsGD2#GD1vsGD2 ).
If you however feel you want to re-create your thumbnails with ImageMagick, you can do so using the resize pictures admin tool from coppermine admin menu when your gallery is up-and-running on your new server.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.