Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Invalid]: Major Bug in New Version???  (Read 3979 times)

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
[Invalid]: Major Bug in New Version???
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »

Previously my site could run for weeks and there were no "stuck CPU / high memory" style of events.

But after installing the new 1.4.21 from the previous version of 1.4.18 (because of the security recommendation) the site can now successfully run for a couple days under high volume consuming a normal 20meg of memory and modest CPU usage (small spikes that last short periods of time per image lookup) but without warning, the sites worker process (dllhost.exe) then sticks in a 100 percent cpu loop and within seconds consumes all memory 1.2 gig and becomes unresponsive until the web server is stopped and started.

Its using PHP 5.1.4 and mysql 5.0.24  on IIS5 / windows 2000  and imagemagic. We did not experience this on the 1.4.18 but did begin experiencing this shortly after the upgrade to 1.4.21..

Activity logs show the last events prior to the sticking as:

(see attached MRU log .txt) 

I did not find any un-usual signs of abnormal activity, however the log probly does not contain the actual events that stuck the site as the event logging stops when the site becomes stuck. PHP error log shows no errors, event logs show no errors.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And will there be another update soon fixing this problem if it is in fact an issue with Coppermine Currently we're having to go in and do a reset every couple of days because this has been crashing our entire server. Thanks so much for any help!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:56:54 pm by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Major Bug in New Version???
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:56:41 pm »

Not a valid bug report. I'm pretty sure that it's not a bug in Coppermine, and I suggest to think twice before shouting "bug" into the face of developers - that's usually not a bright idea. If you can't provide actual proof for something being wrong and the only thing you have to back up what you're saying is the fact that your webserver hickups in a way that I can not replicate, then I'm marking this thread as "invalid".

Its using PHP 5.1.4 and mysql 5.0.24  on IIS5 / windows 2000  and imagemagic.
Only recomendation is to get a decent webserver. Yours doesn't fall into that category, but rather sounds like you're self-hosting...

The page in question appears to be http://gallery.michelle-rodriguez.com/

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
Re: [Invalid]: Major Bug in New Version???
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

In 7 years we've never had this problem. Ever. Until we upgraded the other day.

What other proof do you need? I've given a rundown of the situation and an log. If you would look into the possible explanations for the problem (aside from our server which has NEVER been the problem UNTIL we upgraded to the latest Coppermine version due to security concerns) it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:35:54 pm »

You are the only person reporting the issue and the 1.4.21 release was 6 weeks ago. Most likely explanation is poor server setup, which seems likely since you are using outdated versions of your server software.

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »

Ok, that's great but then why NOW? Seriously it makes no sense why our server is SUDDENLY the problem in all these years. If in fact it is, then what versions of what server software should be upgraded and to what, in order to run this newest version of Coppermine without this glitch?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:14 pm »

I can honestly say that my server has been running for 7months now without the need to reboot. I am running a virtual server under Linux (debian) and in my part of this shared server there are 16 coppermine installations running all at 1.4.21 over the various sites I have there. As such, I can only conclude that there has to be something in the setup of your server causing you problems. In fact you state that you previously experienced crashes every few weeks which is something I only ever experienced when I had less memory available on my server.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »

Yeah but those crashes only happened after upgrading, so something is just not right. I just am not fond of the idea of spending to upgrade the entire server, when this ONLY began after we upgraded Coppermine....just seems odd. But again if it is the server, what sort of upgrade would someone recommend? What specs do you think is necessary to run a high traffic gallery?

I still can't believe I'm even asking that though because this has NEVER been a problem. Ever. Until the Coppermine upgrade. Sigh.

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »

Well, nothing is ever a problem until suddenly one day it becomes one. :)

You don't need to pay anything to update PHP/MySQL so do that first. Then make sure they are properly configured. If your server is crashing and not giving you any error message it's likely not configured properly to begin with. You can limit the amount of memory php scripts use. You can limit the amount of memory mysql uses. No idea about IIS but I'd guess the same applies.

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:38:39 pm »

If your server is crashing and not giving you any error message it's likely not configured properly to begin with.

Obviously it was configured just fine all this time though. That's the catch here. But anyway will look into updating PHP/MySQL in the meantime.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26:49 am »

OK, so you say your server setup is fine, but Coppermine contains a bug. Then go ahead and enjoy one of the great advantages of open source software: go through the code (all of it is available for you for free) and tell us where the faulty code bit is that causes your server to crash ::).
This discussion is leading nowhere - your report is invalid. You shouldn't be running a webserver of your own, as you appear not to have the slightest clue of what you're doing. Anyway, we can't teach you how to set up your webserver properly - that's beyond the scope of this support board. What I can advise: get a decent, supported server operating system. Windows 2000 is outdated and unsupported from Microsoft. The same thing applies (as Nibbler suggested) for your versions of PHP and mySQL.
The webserver freezing is never OK, as this hardly can be caused by the application: a well-setup webserver will run into a time-out if a PHP-driven appp requests too many resources, so an application can not freeze the server. Even if the problem would actually lie within Coppermine, your server should never freeze.
I'm a sysadmin by profession in a mostly Windows-driven (90%) datacenter, so I know what I'm talking about. Your server (you failed to post the hardware specs) falls into the category "very outdated" and is a proof only for our repeated mantra that self-hosting is not recommended at all unless you really, really know your way around, which seems not to be the case.
Let the discussion end here: as I suggested, go through the code and proof us that there is a bug in our code. If you can't, then stop complaining and do as suggested: get decent webhosting, it's cheap.

LL84

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 01:31:26 pm »

Well thanks for the attack, but I personally don't run the server itself. But I appreciate the insult to my friend who makes a profitable living doing such for many people and companies without problem. We upgrade Coppermine and from that day on it crashes for the first time ever in YEARS of existence. Obviously we had reason to believe it was the script, since it does have a history of bugs and upgrades and such. Sorry if that offended you so much, lol. We'll look into the upgrades though. I do appreciate you finding the decency to provide somewhat of a recommendation amidst the always pleasant insults. Will pass it on. Thnx.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 04:42:38 pm »

I personally don't run the server itself. But I appreciate the insult to my friend who makes a profitable living doing such for many people and companies without problem.
Well, then that guy doesn't know his way around. I haven't insulted anybody though: running an outdated webserver is something that pros don't consider a clever thing. If you can find someone who says otherwise, tell me.

Obviously we had reason to believe it was the script, since it does have a history of bugs and upgrades and such.
As well as any other piece of non-trivial software. Applies to Windows 2000, IIS, PHP and mySQL as well, so what?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.