Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: changing host  (Read 3590 times)

applefruit

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: changing host
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:24:56 pm »

I have recently changed host, and transferred all my files via ftp.  I have created a new mysql table and transferred that across as well.  But how do I change the settings within coppermine such that it will know what the new details are.  EG:
I had table called host1_gallery, where can I change it to make it host2_gallery?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:46:35 pm by Joachim Müller »

Nibbler

Re: changing host
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:09:21 pm »

Edit include/config.inc.php

applefruit

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:18:33 pm »

Anything else need to change?

And  also, after I changed host, before I changed the settings, I added new photos.  What will happen to these?

Do I have to transfer the sql tables again?

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:46:32 pm »

That's the only place that needs changing. Sounds like you did a new install instead of following the 'how to move a gallery' instructions. You'll have to either add the pics again or merge the databases manually.

Superficial Gallery

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 08:45:09 pm »

I feel for you - I have had to move hosts twice and the biggest challenge I have ever had has been getting the darn pics ftp'd.  the database move and the other items have always been slick.  If you added pics before you moved and didn't accommodate for it in the new area, i would just start from scratch with those (IMO).  You know how to add pics.  You may not know how to merge DB's (I know I don't).  So I would cut my losses and get it working, then add the pics again.

Just my opinion.

applefruit

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »

But every time I upload pictures, it usually takes overnight to upload all.  Funnily enough, downloading the photos and thumbnails etc via ftp from old host was slower than uploading to new host.  If I upload from scratch, I will have to add all the files again and recreate the thumbs, but I don't have to upload them and it should remove any inconsistencies.  But if I do that, should I just reinstall cpg completely?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:19:54 am »

You need to upload the pics one way or the other, so there's no real alternative to what we describe. There are instructions for moving a coppermine-driven gallery from one server to the other that you should follow to a T if you want to move your coppermine gallery. If you want to start from scratch, then do so, but then you're basically on your own: if you want all content that used to reside in your old gallery back on your new server, then you will of course have to re-upload all that content to the new server.
You don't have to babysit the FTP-uploading process: just use an FTP client that is capable to resume interrupdted sessions and you will be good - imo it doesn't matter much then how long the downloading / uploading process takes.
But if I do that, should I just reinstall cpg completely?
Re-installing means starting from scratch. Not recommended.

applefruit

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:09:14 pm »

Basically, I moved the files, but not the sql tables.  I didn't change the sql config, and added photos.  I presume this is added to teh sql table of the old host...?  Today, I've changed the config and copied the table from old server to new server, does it mean that it should all be fixed now?

This raises another question.  Theoretically, can I use a host that doesn't have mysql, but then make the config point to another host, so I put files on host1, but use sql services of host2?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 04:46:15 pm »

This raises another question.
Maybe. But we have a strict "one question per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up. Do so in the future.

Theoretically, can I use a host that doesn't have mysql, but then make the config point to another host, so I put files on host1, but use sql services of host2?
Remote storage is not supported, nor can coppermine be run without mysql table. However, if the webhost who provides mysql services for you allows you to access the database from remote (instead of just accessing it on localhost), then you could of course keep your files and your database on different servers. So the answer to your question is "yes", at least in theory. You will hardly find a webhost though that will allow you what you're up to do. If they allow you to do that, they usually charge more for that than the cost of the extra database access on the server where you intend to keep the files would cost, so there's nothing won in that scenario. Others have already thought about that, but why should webhosts allow you to do that?

Your initial question was
how do I change the settings within coppermine such that it will know what the new details are.  EG:
I had table called host1_gallery, where can I change it to make it host2_gallery?
and that was solved. You should never have posted follow ups. This thread now had enough thread drift. Locking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.