Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Random Upload Errors  (Read 2862 times)

JMS48

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: Random Upload Errors
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »

Running Copermine version 1.4.20
I have Copermine set up to be the backbone of a photo contest.
There is only one Album. Users are allowed a single file upload.

I have 20 tester accounts at the moment involving both Mac and PC users in 8 different physical locations. Out of all these test accounts, 3 users (unrelated...3 locations) are unable to upload and given "Error 500 Internal Server Error" notification.

Searching this forum:
I have set all the Album permissions at both 777 and 755 with no effect on the upload problem.

Within the Gallery settings, I have increased allowable file size up to 2000kb to rule out most oversize file errors.

I have seen the suggestion of changing-
max_input_time
post_max_size
memory_limit
PHP's LimitRequestBody

but, if I understand correctly, these are found in php.ini and I have host based MySQL... so I don't have acess to that file... or do I?

Just scratching my head here and hoping to be pointed into a new line of troubleshooting. By far, the majority of tester accounts have no upload issues, but I'd obviously like to see this closer to 100% before it's released to the public.

I am not including a tester link at this point as the contest sponsor prefers to keep this under wraps until public release.
If absolutely necessary to trouble shoot this problem, please let me know.

Finally, I'm seeing a version 1.4.21 and I will do the upgrade ASAP.
Anything fixed in this new release that might be related?

All my thanks for any pointers in the right direction, and many thanks as well for your time.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:21:31 am by Joachim Müller »

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Random Upload Errors
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »

First things first, upgrade now. As it is your gallery could be hacked in a few seconds so any help you get here would be wasted.

Once you have upgraded read the troubleshooting uploads section of the docs and do everything suggested in there. By doing that you will get more concise error messages which will help to diagnose your problems.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

JMS48

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »

Thank you-
I will upgrade the Gallery today.

As for the "debug mode" suggestion in the "Upload Troubleshooting guide.
Do I need to actually be at one of the troubled locations for that to give useful Information or will I receive notice at my location when a failure occurs at another location?
I have no upload issues on any of the workstations I have access to so recreating the error on my end has been unsuccessful.

Again, appreciate your help.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »

If you get a 500 error then there should be an error message in the server's error log.

Get the pciture that causes problems for those users and try uploading it yourself.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:55 am »

I have 20 tester accounts at the moment involving both Mac and PC users in 8 different physical locations. Out of all these test accounts, 3 users (unrelated...3 locations) are unable to upload and given "Error 500 Internal Server Error" notification.
Those users are probably trying to upload files that are to large in terms of file size and/or dimension for your webserver to process. But after all, the error message explains it: it's an "internal server error" - only the server "knows" what went wrong - we don't know, or can't tell for sure. Consult the server's logs. If you can't access them, ask your webhost for support.

I have seen the suggestion of changing-
max_input_time
post_max_size
memory_limit
PHP's LimitRequestBody

but, if I understand correctly, these are found in php.ini and I have host based MySQL... so I don't have acess to that file... or do I?
We can't tell - that's a matter of webserver setup. We can't tell you if your webhost or whoever is in charge of setting up and maintaining a webserver allows you to edit those settings in php.ini. Usually, on shared webhosting, you're indeed not allowed to change any of those settings. You can only be sure if you ask the right person: the one who is in charge of webserver administration - that is again (you guessed it already) your webhost.
What you have asked has been asked many times over, and it's understandable that newbies who don't understand webserver details ask us, the creators of coppermine such questions. But the answer remains the same - it's just whishfull thinking to ask us. We don't know, as we can't know what the cause for the error message is nor if you're allowed to edit php.ini nor what values you should enter nor what your end users did wrong. Sorry, definitely beyond the scope of what support for coppermine can do. Definitely a case for webserver support (if there is any in your webhosting contract). This is usually the point where people on free or budget webhosting give up. If that is not the case for you (i.e. if you have a decent webhosting contract), it can't hurt to ask your webhost what actually lead to the internal server errors and if they would be willing to increase server-sided limitations (usually the sheer amount of memory is the main culprit).

You're welcome to let us know what your webhost said, but please understand that we simply can not tell you more.

JMS48

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:11:35 am »

Actually, you guys have been a great help.
At nibbler's suggestion, I had the offending testers send me their images and, while they were below the actual file size limits, they were ALL beyond the dimension limits.
Can't thank you enough.
Very much appreciated.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:21:21 am »

Marking thread as "solved" then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.