Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anonymous password protected album not working with Firefox, Safari...  (Read 7137 times)

PDAAddress [at] yahoo [dot] com

• Coppermine newbie

Hi Gang -

I just started using Coppermine and I am thrilled at what I have seen so far BUT (you knew it was coming didn't you), I have created an album that I want available to everyone with a password.  It is working fine for anyone with IE, but not other browsers.  I found some examples on this board of the reverse, but not the other way around.  Is anyone having similar problems and has anyone found a solution?

Here isa link to a test album:
http://www.servicesunltd.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5

The password is:  testit

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nibbler

Works for me in firefox. What is not working for you?

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/

@Nibbler: Did you try to put the password and enter to the album?

@PDAAddress [at] yahoo [dot] com: I'm seeing your problem. Works fine in IE but you can't enter the password in FF or Chrome even though you can see the page just fine.
Did you modify the theme you're using?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:00:38 am by Joachim Müller »
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Nibbler

I see. Your 'no right click' script is buggy - remove it. I had javascript disabled so didn't notice.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

[off topic]
Using your email address as username will result in enormous increase of spam sent at that address. Not a bright idea. I edited your display name. Don't do that in the future or on other forums unless you like getting new email addresses every now and then.
[/off topic]

• Coppermine newbie

@PDAAddress [at] yahoo [dot] com: I'm seeing your problem. Works fine in IE but you can't enter the password in FF or Chrome even though you can see the page just fine.
Did you modify the theme you're using?

No, I didn't modify the theme, it's stock out of the box.

• Coppermine newbie

I see. Your 'no right click' script is buggy - remove it. I had javascript disabled so didn't notice.
That's interesting because I used a mod that I found here.  Also, like I said, I'm using IE and have javascript enabled and it seems to be working fine.  Do you have a recommendation for making it tougher for people to download images.  I understand they can go into the code and find them that way, but I don't want to make it easy for people to get my photos.

Thanks

• Coppermine newbie

[off topic]
Using your email address as username will result in enormous increase of spam sent at that address. Not a bright idea. I edited your display name. Don't do that in the future or on other forums unless you like getting new email addresses every now and then.
[/off topic]
Thanks much.  I'm a sleep deprived new daddy and not thinking completely.  Regardless, that's why I chose that email address, it's for my junkmail.  Is there a way to change it now or is it too late.  I looked under the profile but it is locked.

Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Is there a way to change it now or is it too late. 
I already changed it for you, replacing the
Code: [Select]
@ with
[at] and the
. with
[dot]. This should cloak the name from email harvesters good enough. I already told you in my previous posting that I have edited your display name:
I edited your display name.

Do you have a recommendation for making it tougher for people to download images. 
Yes, two of them:
1) watermark your images on your client before you upload them.
2) don't upload pictures to a webserver if you're afraid that someone might steal them

I'm using IE and have javascript enabled
Ouch. Use a decent browser.

• Coppermine newbie

I understand you are from Germany so things might be getting lost in translation or assumptions.  Regarding the username I was wondering if it should be changed to something else, but that's fine, I understand why you did what you did, I can live with it.

I will look into watermarking, thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can find a way to automate it to make life easier.

Regarding IE, I understand that it is bloatware but in my organization, for example, they do not allow you to install your own software/browsers so we are therefore stuck with IE and since this problem is working with IE but not other browsers it makes me wonder back to my original post, why other browsers won't work.  It shouldn't be because of the right-click mod because the password field isn't something you need to right-click on.  So, is there something more constructive I can do to take care of this problem other than telling people they have to use IE to view the album which seems kind of limiting seeing as how you have already mentioned that there are other better browsers out there.

Thanks

Nibbler

Re: Anonymous password protected album not working with Firefox, Safari...
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 10:32:07 pm »

I already told you why. The no right click script is buggy. It blocks *all* mouse clicks, not just right clicks. Either remove it or find one that works as expected.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Anonymous password protected album not working with Firefox, Safari...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:36 pm »

I will look into watermarking, thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can find a way to automate it to make life easier.
Try Picture Shark or similar apps - they will allow you to batch-watermark on your client before uploading files.

Regarding IE, I understand that it is bloatware but in my organization, for example, they do not allow you to install your own software/browsers so we are therefore stuck with IE
Same thing for me as well, only IE is installed on the PCs in the company I work for, and no admin privileges for end users to install alternative browsers. But, this can usually be easily circumvented using a portable copy of Firefox or another browser that doesn't need to be installed. It's quite hard for corporate admins to lock down the PC to disallow this as well with crippling the client too much for work (and I know what I'm talking about, since I am one of those corporate admins who's mission is to lock down the PCs as good as possible). The problem is not that IE is bloatware. The problem is that IE is buggy, unsecure and doesn't respect standards, hence the "ouch"-remark. Self-respecting web people should use decent browsers and only use IE for validation/testing purposes, not vice versa.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.