Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Coppermine 1.4 nested inside phBB2 - how do I get phBB3 to see Coppermine  (Read 4480 times)

bozz282

• Coppermine newbie

Hi

I have Coppermine 1.4x installed inside phBB2 (as directed). I now want to / need to upgrade phBB3 and have that installed on my server. My problem is, how do I now move my Coppermine install to the new phBB3 directory ?

I have posted this question on the phBB forum and they will not support Coppermine.

My directory structure is :

/phBB2/coppermine
/phBB2/

my phBB2 folder is called 'forum' and all links for my forum point to that location. To deploy phBB3 I will need to rename the 'forum' folder to 'old.forum' and rename the phBB3 to 'forum' to swap the old and the new forum over.

Do I have to move Coppermine to the phBB3 folder or will a bridging file do the trick ?

I do not have the very latest Coppermine installed, do I need to upgrade before attempting to bridge ?

Any help will be much appreciated as I'm thinking I might have to stick with the old versions of both Coppermine and phBB
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:48:40 pm by Nibbler »

Nibbler

Sticking with old versions is not an option. You will be hacked.

There is no need to put Coppermine inside your forum directory. None of our documentation says you should do this. I'm not familiar with phpbb upgrading - is it not possible to simply upgrade the forum 'in place'?

After upgrading phpbb you need to download the phpbb3 bridge file from the mods section and redo the bridge using the new file.

bozz282

• Coppermine newbie

Hi Nibbler and thanks for your reply.

The problem is that a new install is the only way phBB2 can be upgraded to phBB3 so an 'in place' upgrade is not an option.

So, I'm going to rename my old phBB2 directory 'gallery' which contains Coppermine, and try bridging it to phBB3

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

I have Coppermine 1.4x installed inside phBB2 (as directed).
Who told you so? I have seen that people do that, but it's totaly silly and pointless. Won't help you in terms of bridging nor visual integration nor search engine friendliness. I wish I knew where people recommend that. Anyone who recommends that has got no idea at all.

Here's what I suggest you do in your situation:
1) Set coppermine offline. Go into coppermine's config and set if offline to make sure your visitors don't interact with coppermine while you perform your maintenance works
2) Unbridge temporarily: Go to coppermine's bridge manager and temporarily unbridge your gallery, making it a standalone app (for now)
3) Download the Coppermine folder (everything) to your local client  using FTP
4) Upload the local copy of your coppermine folder to a folder on the server that resides outside of your forum's folder. Preferably (in terms of SEO) into a folder that means something, e.g. "gallery" within your webroot.
5) Go to your "new", moved coppermine install using http://yoursite.tld/gallery/ or whatever name you picked. Go to coppermine's config http://yoursite.tld/gallery/admin.php and change the coppermine URL there to reflect the move
6) Perform whatever steps are needed to upgrade your forum application. We have no idea how to do that, so you'll have to ask that somewhere else
7) Download the phpbb3 bridge from our site
8) Run the bridge manager (http://yoursite.tld/gallery/bridgemgr.php) and bridge coppermine with your upgraded, phpbb3-driven forum
9) Go to coppermine's config and turn offline mode off, i.e. turn your gallery back online for the public
10) If everything works as expected, delete your "old" coppermine folder from http://yoursite.tld//phBB2/coppermine/ using your FTP app

bozz282

• Coppermine newbie

Hello Joachim and thank you for your advice. I will try your method.

I also apologise for not following the mandatory method of reporting my error, I did not think my request fell into that kind of enquiry yet as my error was not an error during bridging as I had not attempted it at the time. I was needing advice for the best way of achieving my goal :-)

Please dont be too mad, some of us aren't 100% on all this techincal stuff and we rely heavily on brainy people like yourself who give up their valuable time to troubleshoot numpties like me.

I shall report any further errors in the correct manner.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I shall go away quickly and bugger up my installation !!!

You ARE the man !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.