Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Like the photos, I want to send .fla file as a greeting card. Is it possible?  (Read 12304 times)

Roshan

• Coppermine newbie

Like the photos, I want to send .fla (flash file) file as a greeting card. Is it possible using Coppermine send ecards facility?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

No. Would be silly, since no email client that I'm aware of will allow you to display flashed content. Particularly .fla files will not be allowed. Zip your .fla if you must. Not related to plugins, moving accordingly.

Roshan

• Coppermine newbie

Why not possible?? If you can upload the .fla file and can view it than why can't u send it as a greeting card?? Really coppermine should add that facility too.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

All file formats in the world could be stored on a webserver. Coppermine could be made to refer and embed them as well. But why on earth should we do so, simply because it's possible? It needs to make sense. A .fla file is not meant for end user consumption. That's why email clients don't display them. That's why your request is pointless. What if Coppermine supported fla files? You would be able to send a fla file as an ecard that would be filtered by the recipient's email client. Great benefit. Sender unhappy -> recipient unhappy -> site owner unhappy -> complaint -> developer unhappy. A chain of unhappy people. Nobody would want that.

Roshan

• Coppermine newbie

Actually you are not catching my words.  ??? I'm telling that As you told, we can upload the .fla file in gallery. Users can view them. But unlike the image file why these .fla file are unable to send as card in copper mine? There are several other open source .php software which meets my requirement but since I've used Coppermine in my web site I'm just thinking tht it would be nice if tht feature was included in coppermine. Now you got that?? Is there any hacks so that we can enable that feature?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Look, you don't get the point: what good would it do you if coppermine allowed you to send a fla file as ecard? How would the ecard code look like? It would be an HTML-formatted email that actually embedds the fla file. Did you ever bother to send such an HTML-driven email that embedds a fla file to yourself? Did it look cool in your email client? It won't look cool in the email clients I'm familar with (Outlook/Outlook Express/Thunderbird/Evolution): it will just display the surrounding HTML (if at all, depending on the security settings in your email client) and it will definitely not display the embedded fla file, but just a placeholder graphic (if at all). Pretty un-impressive if you ask me. A lot of coding effort for nothing. Look: fla files won't be displayed in email clients, OK?
However, if you don't believe me, try for yourself: there has been a mod around that explained how to allow flash files to be sent as ecards. Search that mod, change it slightly to allow not only swf files, but fla files as well, make it work with your version of coppermine and you'll be good. Nobody will be able to actually look at the fla files you send (because you can't control other user's email clients), but as far as I can see it will make you happy that your gallery has got that useless feature.
If you ask for my opinion on ecards, I think that the feature really sucks and that it belongs into the past decade, back into the time when spam was not a problem and viruses came as executable attachments to plain text emails. Things have changed dramatically. The ecard feature sucks and should be removed from coppermine's core imo.

Roshan

• Coppermine newbie

THANKS FOR YOUR UNCONDITIONAL HELP.  ;)

OK than dude, can you suggest me what should I do with my flash cards that I planned to make available in my web site. Actually I'm a designer not the programmer. I'm weak in coding and all stuff. Which open source software should I use than? Any Idea man??

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

You don't get it, do you? I have told you that you can't send emails around that contain flash. Try it for yourself.
If you don't believe me, then try the mod, make coppermine capable to send flashed ecards. You'll be able to send them, but nobody will be able to see them.
I'm not aware of anything on this planet that could fix this for you, nor do I know of a miraculous application that could do this for you.
I will not reply here any longer, I feel exhausted. Maybe someone else could explain this better than I?

jecepede

• Coppermine newbie

Aloha !

I totally agree with mr Müller, sending multimedia via mail is just plain stupid.
You don't wanna go around sending your content over the mail.
If it indeed would not be intercepted by your SPAM guard your mail client
doesn't know what the [BLEEP] it should do with it.

But I also agree with Roshan. It would be totally and utterly cool to share
not only your pictures, but also your multimedia files via e-cards...

Say.... have any of you guys actually got an e-card for there birthday ?
Usually, for example Halmark cards, they send you a nice HTML-build mail with
company logo and a link to the site...

Why can't Coppermine Gallery do that ?
I mean, building an e-mail in the style of your current Coppermine Gallery Skin is a cinch,
putting a link like http://ongein.wabbit-wion.nl/displayimage.php?pos=-1029 in the mail
and voila !

I hope someone builds this for Coppermin,
I am really sick of the error : "Only images can be sent as an ecard."

Just my  Thai Baht 0,54 (US $ 0,02)

Cheeeeeeeeers.....

Jecepede

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Why can't Coppermine Gallery do that ?
I mean, building an e-mail in the style of your current Coppermine Gallery Skin is a cinch,
putting a link like http://ongein.wabbit-wion.nl/displayimage.php?pos=-1029 in the mail
and voila !

I hope someone builds this for Coppermin
Coppermine already is capable to do that. Your reply is invalid. Locking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.