Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Version 1.4.19 Dead on Arrival  (Read 3144 times)

DeliciousFX

[Closed]: Version 1.4.19 Dead on Arrival
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:17:21 am »

My Webhost installed Version 1.4.19 (at my request) two days ago as a supported Gallery. Location is:  [edit by Francois]delete link see my answer[/edit]

Setup went ok but cannot add users or gallerys or albums and darn sure cannot upload without them first!  I checked the Documentation and tried all I could find to no avail.  I tried to set up  an Album for Admin and tried to upload a test pic and got the following message "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files"  Needless to say I feel like I have wasted 48 hours trying to make a dead dog breathe.

I need help to resolve this before I even consider your "mandatory upgrade".  Any clues before my fried brain decides DELETE is the answer?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:44:54 am by Joachim Müller »

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: Version 1.4.19 Dead on Arrival
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:41:56 am »

I hope your host did not use anyof those automatic installers such as Fantastico. They are rubbish.

First thing that you need to resolve is upgrading to 1.4.21. Yes it's mandatory and for good reason. The version you are using now is not safe, it has security flaws that were repaired in 1.4.21.

So.. in short steps this is what you do:
- upgrade manually to 1.4.21
- Read the sticky post on the upload board: ]http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,24088.0.html[url][/url]

Cheers
Hein

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:52:53 am »

My Webhost installed Version 1.4.19 (at my request) two days ago as a supported Gallery.
Why did you make them install an outdated application? That's nonsense. Upgrade first - it's dead easy.

cannot add users
Why? What exactly doesn't work? Do you get an error message when you create a new user?

I tried to set up  an Album for Admin and tried to upload a test pic and got the following message "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files" 
The error message should be pretty self-explanatory: you need to create at least one album your upload could go to. Do so on the album manager page - you can access that page when being logged in as admin and clicking on the menu item named "albums". Select a parent category from the dropdown, click "new", type the name of the album and click "apply modifications" when you're done. If you create an album in public categories or within the root ("* no category *"), the album will be a public one. If you create the album within "* my gallery*", it will be a personal gallery.
This is being explained in the docs. Desribe your actual issues with that process if you have any.

Any clues before my fried brain decides DELETE is the answer?
Your posting sounds a bit confrontational to me. Look, we provide an application free of charge. We don't win or lose a penny if you use it or you don't. Trying to threaten us to delete the application if we don't support you is a bit lame - we don't care if you use it or not. So, if your brain should decide that "delete" is the answer, go ahead. If your decision is to keep Coppermine I suggest reading the documentation first, as it covers most issues already.

DeliciousFX

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:49 pm »

Hein - Thank you for your very kind reply.  As for what the webhost used to install Coppermine - I have no idea.  I have not decided to upgrade this non working software just yet, and am investigating other options.  I understand that my version is not safe, however, I cannot justify upgrading something that I cannot get to work at all.  It was a pleasure to read your reply.

And to Joachim Müller -

Why did you make them install an outdated application? - I DIDN'T!  It was their choice and I thought it was the up-to-date version.

"cannot add users" -  Why? What exactly doesn't work? Do you get an error message when you create a new user? -
Cannot add users means IT DON'T WORK and yes I did read the documentation on it as stated in the original post.  No, there is no error message - it just did not create a user.

I tried to set up  an Album for Admin and tried to upload a test pic and got the following message "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files"
The error message should be pretty self-explanatory: you need to create at least one album your upload could go to. Do so on the album manager page - you can access that page when being logged in as admin and clicking on the menu item named "albums". Select a parent category from the dropdown, click "new", type the name of the album and click "apply modifications" when you're done. If you create an album in public categories or within the root ("* no category *"), the album will be a public one. If you create the album within "* my gallery*", it will be a personal gallery.
This is being explained in the docs. Desribe your actual issues with that process if you have any.
---------------
Your brilliance astounds me - as I can see the Admin Album and I did try your above mentioned method today (after spending way too much time reading the documentation and attempting to get it to work)- and it didn't work

Your posting sounds a bit confrontational to me. Look, we provide an application free of charge. We don't win or lose a penny if you use it or you don't. Trying to threaten us to delete the application if we don't support you is a bit lame - we don't care if you use it or not. So, if your brain should decide that "delete" is the answer, go ahead. If your decision is to keep Coppermine I suggest reading the documentation first, as it covers most issues already.

Confrontational - no absolutely not. Frustrated- YES.  And your online attitude sums it all up - you don REALLY care.  I am not THREATENING anyone- I asked for HELP and I get your smart aleck reply.  So thanks to you - I Will delete it off and never have to deal with the likes of YOU again.  It is a shame people who ask for help are treated in this rude manner.

Please remove me as a registered user - I won't be back.

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:16:19 am »

what a good attitude to dsiplay a page who said that coppermine doesn't work. It doesn't work on YOUR installation, it works wothout problem on many installs over the world. (I disable your link in the fisrt post)
A manual upgrade had perhaps correct your issue, but if you don't want to do this it's YOUR choice.
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:44:35 am »

So thanks to you - I Will delete it off and never have to deal with the likes of YOU again. 
OK, marking thread accordingly.

Please remove me as a registered user - I won't be back.
OK, doing as suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.