Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications better  (Read 3820 times)

Einstein

• Coppermine novice
  • E = mc^2
Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications better
« on: April 17, 2004, 03:12:25 pm »

Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications beter:
- Why cannot the phpBB MOD template (+ Easy MOD) be used. It's more clear.
- There exist for the moment three (I suppose so) version of CPG. Should be clear to witch version the MOD belongs. A new forum "CPG 1.3 Modifications" would be good.
- Also MOD prefixes could exist: [MOD], [Hack], [Theme], [Fix]

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications better
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 07:40:27 am »

the current theme/template system needs on overhaul, that's right. We're discussing this already for future versions. One of the problems is backwards compatibility although, when using a completely different template engine.
The support board will have to change as well, we're currently working on a migration of the board - we're planning to use smf instead of phpbb, which will offer a much more granular administration than the current board. After this migration we're planning to have support sub-categories and a separate mod-board as well. Hopefully, the users will post in the correct boards (most users looking for support post on the first board at the top of the screen anyway :wink: ).

Thanks for your suggestions, we'll try to keep them in mind.

GauGau

Einstein

• Coppermine novice
  • E = mc^2
Re: Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications better
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 06:08:37 pm »

After this migration we're planning to have support sub-categories and a separate mod-board as well. Hopefully, the users will post in the correct boards (most users looking for support post on the first board at the top of the screen anyway :wink: ).
A separate mod-board sound like overkill to me. Coppermine isn't that famous yet  ;) . I think mod subcategories is enough.

An example of tree structure
Modifications
-- MODs, Hacks and fixes
-- Themes
-- Development

Example of the MOD life cycle (can begin at 2):
1. Asking for a feature -> Feature requests
2. Some one is willing to make a MOD
3. Creates a new thread at Development forum with a prefix [DEV]
4. Development and discussions
3. Testing
4. When stable -> moving thread to "MODs Hacks and fixes" with a new prefix for example [MOD]

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Some suggestions, to make Coppermine Modifications better
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 10:43:45 am »

I was using the term "board" as in "sub-category", not "totally separate bbs", so basically I go along with your proposal to have sub-boards within "Mods". The changes you're proposing in status changes will need a lot of moderation though, I'm not sure if/how this should be done. Another issueis the fact that some mods will work with several versions of coppermine, other's won't, so we'll have to come up with a scheme that makes it easy for users to decide if a mod will work for them or not.
Like I said, we're in the middle of re-organizing this forum, so expect some changes in the near future. In any case, I appreciate your feedback.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.