Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change admin name  (Read 6849 times)

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
Change admin name
« on: January 31, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »

When I set up 1.4.19 I didn't pay enough attention and left the default administrator name as admin. I would like to change that to something more secure. I can't seem to find any easy way to do this. I've done a search of these boards for any way to do this and haven't come up with anything. How can this be accomplished? Would I have to delete the Coppermine install and then re-install it to accomplish this?

TIA for any help.
Rick Wickert
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
Re: Change admin name
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »

OK, I did find one reference to changing the default administrator name (admin) by modifying the xxxx_users table in phpAdmin. Reference to using caution though. I've attached a screenshot of the relevant field and would appreciate any feedback confirming changing the data here would work and any precautions to take before doing it.
Rick Wickert

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:55:03 pm »

Yes it's the way to do this. Pay attention to not modify the password, it is crypted...
Do a database backup before in case....
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:17:38 pm »

The usual way to do this is to create a second admin account and use this to change the details of the first. Then delete the second account. Changing the admin username doesn't help you much in terms of security since you can easily view the profile of user id 1 and see the username there.

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:58:36 am »

The usual way to do this is to create a second admin account and use this to change the details of the first. Then delete the second account. Changing the admin username doesn't help you much in terms of security since you can easily view the profile of user id 1 and see the username there.
Sorry, but I don't see how to do that. If I log in as administrator and then open the Users tab I can add a second admin account but there is no option to delete the original admin account (no check box). I should say that I'm only using the gallery to allow visitors to view, rate & comment on photos. No registered or user accounts or ability to upload.

Please explain to me how a visitor can view the profile of user id 1. I'm new at this so forgive me if this is an obvious answer.
Rick Wickert

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:05 am »

What Nibbler means is to create a new admin user logged as admin (with your actual admin account) after, you must logged-in with the second admin account (you just create), go to the user management page and edit the first admin user profil (hope i'm clear with my explanation)
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »

Thanks Francois, that clarifies the process and I was able to accomplish the change that way also. Still unclear as to Nibbler's comment about being able to view user ID 1 if there are no capabilities for viewers to login or set up a user account. What am I missing?
Rick Wickert

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:27:17 pm »

You can view the profile of user id 1. Like http://ic-gallery.com/profile.php?uid=1

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:11:00 am »

You can view the profile of user id 1. Like http://ic-gallery.com/profile.php?uid=1
OK Nibbler, thanks for the info. Didn't know it was that easy!
Rick Wickert

WestTac1

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

The support on these forums ROCK! Thanks again guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.