Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maximum Execution Time Exceeded  (Read 5137 times)

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
Maximum Execution Time Exceeded
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:54:09 pm »

I am using 1.4.19 and have been since it was released.  No apparent problems prior to this date.

My installation of Coppermine runs with Abyss Web Server  on a Windows Vista PC using PHP 5.22.  I have used Coppermine in this configuration for a long, long time with no problems...performance is great.

After the installation of a new antivirus program, I cannot batch add any photos without receiving the Maximum Execution Time Error message.

I'm only trying to batch add very few photos and all photos meet the criteria for batch add (size, resolution, etc.) and auto-resize is also enabled.  I have done batch adds ever since I started using Coppermine.

I have adjusted the maximum execution time parameter both at the web server level and at the php.ini level but to to avail.

Any thoughts on solving this problem?  Would the antivirus program cause this behavior?  The AV program does not produce any warning or caution messages when I attempt to do a batch add.

Thanks.

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
Re: Maximum Execution Time Exceeded
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »

You could save time if you search the forum for "Maximum Execution Time Error" instead of posting. :)
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:26 pm »

You know I did that.  Nothing addressed the question of whether an antivirus could/would affect an installation of Coppermine on a PC being used as a server.

Did you find or know of a post addressing that?

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:49 pm »

What I tried to point out is that if you understand the error, there is no Coppermine related issue. If you already tried to set the maximum values and still doesn't worked, maybe you could just deactivate during batch add.
--*--

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:40 pm »

I don't understand the error/condition...that's the point of my posting.  I had simply tried making the parameter changes that had been suggested by others that had experienced the same problem to see if that corrected it...so I'm still looking for suggestions.

I don't think this forum is limited to internal-to-Coppermine only problems.  Obviously others have asked questions about Coppermine-related topics including the environment in which it is run.  I have run Coppermine on a home web server with great results and as much disk space as I want.

So I did my homework before posting by searching the forums, tried suggested remedies with no success, then posted a legitimate question which still stands...has anyone running Coppermine on a home web server seen this error and if so how was the condition correct.

I'm not real sure why it was necessary to reply to my posting with an assumption that I had not searched the forums.  My initial posting clearly referenced the fact that I had tried adjust some of the parameters of the web server and the php.ini file (which was suggested in several forum postings on this topic).  I thought that was the purpose of this forum to ask questions and learn from collective experience?

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:09:53 pm »

I'm not real sure why it was necessary to reply to my posting with an assumption that I had not searched the forums.
Because 99% of the new user don't search on it. I'm sorry for the false assumption. Wait till another Supporter reply.

Thanks,
--*--

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »

I understand.  Thank you.

Interestingly, I temporarily disabled the new antivirus program and the problem has not occurred.  Now to find out why/what the AV program is doing to execution.  The previous AV program didn't cause this problem.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 11:16:59 pm »

Where does the AV app run? On the client or on the server?

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:55:14 pm »

Everything is on the same box.  A beefed up PC serves as a web server using Abyss Web Server with PHP 5.22 installed to support Coppermine.  The AV is on the same PC.  The PC runs Windows Home Basic.  We have a DSL connection.  Access from the Internet by friends and family is very fast.

All runs very well other than the AV is somehow interfering with the batch add function.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:21 am »

Self-hosting is not recommended nor can we support issues related to running and maintaining a webserver on your own, sorry. That's simply beyond the scope of this board.
Of course AV software can eat a lot of resources. Notorious "Norton" Antivirus and "Internet Security" products come to mind - they are resource hogs. I really can't recommend self-hosting: this is not meant to boss you around nor do I want to sound condescening, but your setup sounds a bit *hm* .... un-pro, so you probably will have to live with anything like that.
If that bothers you, take a look at your server's logs: since you're the webhost, you should have done that in the first place.

gsownsby

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:33:29 pm »

Well, you were doing pretty well until that last sentence of your reply "...you should have done that [check server logs] in the first place."  But I guess that is consistent with this board's reputation of being "smart a__ses" and having little courtesy and diplomacy...at least there is consistency!

I found it interesting that there was even lengthy note saying that this board is not hostile/unfriendly.  If you have to do that then I suspect you should take those comments as constructive criticism of how this board is managed...must be something wrong if you have to post a defense.  The defensive posting:

http://blog.coppermine-gallery.net/2009/01/19/never-argue/

I don't care if a product is free or not, if you want and encourage people to use it, then you have a defacto responsibility to treat them with respect and courtesy no matter how inexperienced they may be.  If you truly believe that you have no obligation to provide technical support, then why have the board to start with...that's a form of technical support (by users).  From another perspective why do you care if a question is asked one time or several?  You don't have to reply and make assumptions that the poster hasn't done any homework.  If you're bothered by repetitive things, please don't watch TV as you'll see the same commercial over and over.  I don't get bothered when someone asks the same question again in a forum.  All of us are in different stages of knowledge and when help is needed, do we spend hours and hours researching a problem or post a question to knowledgeable (and hopefully friendly) forum?  Sure seems to me that wasting hours researching vs. asking those with more knowledge is a simple and easy choice.  Is a forum supposed to be a "learning environment?"  You guys could never be real teachers as you would treat all your students as dummies and with arrogance.

Now back to my specific posting...

You don't know what I checked on my server before consulting this board...again, an assumption on your part that I didn't do something as was the first response to my posting.  I've used Coppermine in a self-hosting environment for a long, long time without problems and I don't recall seeing anything about it not being recommended but then too a bumblebee isn't supposed to fly either.  Your comment about it being "un-pro" was a tacky comment.  If my configuration works very well for my family, my friends, and me then why do you care?  Being able to self-host Coppermine has lots of advantages.

You'd be surprised at how many emails I've received since my intial posting from others wishing to do the same thing.  I would think a group wishing to promote Coppermine would be interested how others have implemented and use it since self-hosting is very easy to do.

As Bill Franklin said in his January 22, 2009 posting:  "...Recently I have seen many users criticizing support team (sic) of being rude and un-friendly. The truth is they are right.  Coppermine is good software. You are justified in being proud of that. But I will never post on the forum. I may have searched a topic but missed something. I don’t want the abuse."

Sorry I bothered to ask my question to start with.  The solution was to change some settings on my new antivirus software.  Batch Add is working fine again.

Nibbler

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »

Would be helpful if you posted what these settings are, for the benefit of others.

The note about self hosting is in the documentation - "Although Coppermine can be run on any webserver that has the minimum requirements mentioned above, the Coppermine dev team can not support you on setting up your webserver in the first place. As suggested, those are requirements, i.e. they have to be met before actually considering to run Coppermine. Please note that the Coppermine group does not recommend self-hosting unless you're an experienced webserver administrator and know your way around."

We provide support for Coppermine. Not webservers, and not antivirus programs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.