Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System Resources not being released by Coppermine during Batch Add  (Read 4957 times)

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie

I have been using Coppermine for a number of years (and feel it is the best by far).  However, in recent weeks I have experienced problems batch adding files.  In reviewing my Server Log, it seems that Coppermine is not releasing server processes after it adds files and once the server reaches a limit, it stops the scripts.  I have tried only adding a couple at a time, but no success.  The size of the photo does not seem to matter.

I am using version 1.4.19.  The site is found at www.arppartners.com/photos and access to view files can be done with the username "test" and password "test" (temporary for the purposes of this posting).  The files in the albums folder all have 755 rights and up until a few weeks ago, there has never been a problem uploading photos.  Also, I experience the same problem with both Safari and Internet Explorer.

One of the process messages is: /usr/bin/php /home/arpgroup/public_html/photos/showthumb.php
Here is another: sh -c cd '/home/arpgroup/public_html/photos' ; /usr/bin/convert -quality 80 -antialias -geometry 47x48 'albums/newabbas/031_POOL_FULL_MOON.jpg' -
In both cases, these were left over on the server from at least half an hour ago.

I have checked with my ISP and they say that they have not made any changes to their server that might have caused this problem to develop.  I hope someone has some guidance for me.  Thanks and Happy New Year.

Gary

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie
Re: System Resources not being released by Coppermine during Batch Add
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:13 am »

Mr. Müller,
Thank you for your reply. I guess I am a pretty stupid person because I read that help section at least four times before wasting your time by posting to this forum and could not find my problem covered by anything that I did not try first.  And I have read it again now and still don't see where this helps resolve my issue.  As I said, I have been using the gallery without problem for well over a year and this issue is only recent.  My ISP assures me that they have made no changes that would cause this problem to suddenly occur.  Perhaps they are lying to me because that would be the only other explanation. 

Sadly, I guess I will have to look for an alternative gallery. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:43:41 am »

Well, the test user account you posted doesn't have upload permissions, which you could have found out for yourself pretty easily by testing it in advance. So kind of help do you expect? What are we suppossed to test?

Sadly, I guess I will have to look for an alternative gallery. 
OK, go ahead - if you don't have the time to enable free supporters to look into your issues, then you're of course welcome to use another gallery application - I couldn't care less.

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:50:07 am »

As the problem relates to batch uploading, the test account could not have admin rights as it is published on an openly read forum.  If you have a suggestion around this I am open to it.  I would be happy to give you admin rights.

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:06:06 pm »

the test account could not have admin rights as it is published on an openly read forum.
You're totally right. But, who ask for it?

Joachim said:
the test user account you posted doesn't have upload permissions,

So, if you want help, please provide one with upload permissions.
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

Dear Fabricio,

Thank you for your reply.  I am sorry.  I am sure it is me that is confused. 

My problem that I am presently experiencing is in batch uploads.  Batch uploads can only be done by someone with administrator rights, yes?  I would be happy to email the username and password to one of you kind people to look at this problem.  But I don't think you are recommending that I post administrator rights on this open forum.

In the meantime, Hostgator, my ISP has spent several hours working on the issue and say that they were able to resolve the problem.  I will test it over the weekend to see if I get a repeat of this matter.

I really do appreciate that this is a free software and free support.  I also understand that many people do not read the instructions first.  However, I would not have come to you for help had I not exhausted every possible other resource.  I came to you looking for help, not confrontation. 

If you can give me an address to email the admin rights to, I will do so.  And I do thank you for your time in any case.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:55:21 pm »

Joachim was not asking for admin rights but upload rights so I think you may have missread.

From the docs.

Go to your coppermine page and log in as admin
Go to the config screen
Scroll to the bottom of the page
Expand the "Maintenance settings" section by clicking on it
Enable debug mode for everyone
(set Enable debug mode to "Yes: Everyone")
Leave display of notices switched off
(notices are only meant for developers. If you have idea what they mean, leave them off.)
Save the new settings by clicking on "Save new configuration"
Go to the "groups" panel
Set the upload form configuration for all groups to "Single file uploads only"

set File upload boxes to "1" (1)
set URI upload boxes to "0" (2)
set No. of boxes to "fixed" (3)
Save your new settings
(click on "Apply Modifications")

Then try to upload (using http uploads, even if you experienced troubles using another upload method) - you should get a more detailed error message that tells you what exactly goes wrong with your uploads. If the error message doesn't mean anything to you, search the support board for the error message you get.

When asking for support on the coppermine forum, post a link to your site and a test user account (the test user mustn't be in the admin group!) with upload privileges, with the above mentioned settings in place - this way, supporters can see the error messages as well. Do not post debug_output unless requested. If you want fast results, you should disable admin approval for the group the test user is in, so supporters can tell instantly what is wrong without needing to double-check.

What isn't fully clear in the docs is that you also need to make sure there is an album that the test user can upload to. So, go to the albums properties and make sure that visitors can upload files is set to 'yes'
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:49:20 pm by Fabricio Ferrero »
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:34:05 am »

Dear Phill,

Thanks.  I now see what I missed before which was above where the link Joachim sent me opened to.  My apologies for my misunderstanding.  I think everything is set as requested.  Though I thought the ISP had sorted the problem out, it is still not working right so if you can take a moment to look at it now, I would appreciate it.  www.arppartners.com/photos.  User and password are both test and there is an album and category called Tech Support that you should be able to upload to.

Thanks and best regards,
Gary

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:43:24 am »

You haven't tried for yourself: logging out from your admin account and logging in with the test user account, then clicking on the upload file link shows the error message
Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files
Anyway, you allowed personal albums, so I went ahead and created a personal album (you'll find it easily, as I used a pretty straightforward name). I currently can't test actual uploads from where I am right now (an internet kiosk terminal with a crippled browser that doesn't allow uploads at all no matter what).
Really, you should stop wasting supporter's time: opening your page, logging in, trying to upload, creating an album, writing my response with detailed explanations for obvious stuff is time-consuming. I find it rude that you dare to waste supporter's time with trivial stuff that you could easily have figured out on your own, but you failed to do that out of sheer laziness. I have very little tolerance for that, given that you even ranted about support quality in your above postings. I suggest reviewing your attitude.

Joachim

gbalfour

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:08:05 pm »

Joachim,

I did not rant, I apologized for missing the part I should have seen.  And I had set in groups to allow registered users to upload to public albums.  I had forgotten to change the properties on the album.  I would rather think of myself as senile, not lazy.   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.