Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme "Linus" for cpg1.4.x / Tom Welling theme for modpack  (Read 14187 times)

Starlight

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Starlight's Graphics
Theme "Linus" for cpg1.4.x / Tom Welling theme for modpack
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

Well, this is my very first published theme for coppermine so I hope everything's okay with it and I didn't do anything wrong.
I tested the theme in coppermine live demo.

If you'd like to have your gallery's title in the header graphic open images/index_01.png and write your title there.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:38:09 pm by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Tom Welling theme for modpack
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:35:45 pm »

OK, thanks for your readiness to share. I understand that you're proud of your contribution and of course you deserve respect for your work and readiness to share.

However, you have made several mistakes (in fact quite a lot of them). When submitting a theme as a contribution, please try to come up with more valid code and test on more than one platform and various config settings.

You should really take a look at the existing themes: the classic theme is a standard (sort-of). You shouldn't remove items from it that you have no idea what they do. Under no circumstances should you remove the line
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.js"></script>, nor should you remove any other core functions of the theme.

The theme may work fine on your particular setup (i.e. with your config settings), but it won't work nearly nowhere else. That's why I had to add some hacks to theme.php to override the config settings.
Additionally, your theme's HTML is more or less tag soup: deprecated HTML attributes, inline CSS, external CSS - you name it. I haven't corrected everything, but I suggest you use a diff viewer (WinMerge is recommended) to go through the changes I applied to your theme. I have attached a reviewed copy of your theme to this thread.

I'm not trying to put you down, but it has cost me some time to finish this up. We welcome contributions, but prefer contributions that are ready for consumption already.

To avoid legal issues I created a fan-site parody for the demo, depicting Linus in the same manner that originally shows actor Tom Welling. The name of the theme on the demo is "Linus" as well as in the downloads section.

So here's the Legalese:
  • Images of Linus Torvalds and Tux taken from Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/).  Refer to fair use policies and licenses of the images there.
  • Warning: this theme overrides a lot of config settings in theme.php. In other words: those config settings will not be taken into account, the settings from theme.php have precedence.
  • Originally, the theme contribution was based on images of actor "Tom Welling".

Demo - Download

Your theme is not a real modpack theme, as it only uses one little feature (the buddy link in the navigation), so it will work with all versions. For the Linus theme I have commented out the Modpack function.
To match standards I have renamed this thread as well.

Joachim

P.S. Black text on dark brown background is not a good idea imo

Starlight

• Starlight's Graphics
Re: Tom Welling theme for modpack
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:27 pm »

OK, thanks for your readiness to share. I understand that you're proud of your contribution and of course you deserve respect for your work and readiness to share.
Thanks, first of all!

However, you have made several mistakes (in fact quite a lot of them). When submitting a theme as a contribution, please try to come up with more valid code and test on more than one platform and various config settings.

You should really take a look at the existing themes: the classic theme is a standard (sort-of). You shouldn't remove items from it that you have no idea what they do. Under no circumstances should you remove the line
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.js"></script>, nor should you remove any other core functions of the theme.
You're right! *shame on me*
I must admit, that I... mmh... tried how my "new" way of making themes works and then I forgot to put all the important stuff back in...

The theme may work fine on your particular setup (i.e. with your config settings), but it won't work nearly nowhere else. That's why I had to add some hacks to theme.php to override the config settings.
I see! I wasn't sure about the whole config thing so thanks for telling me! Will have a look at all this soon.

Additionally, your theme's HTML is more or less tag soup: deprecated HTML attributes, inline CSS, external CSS - you name it. I haven't corrected everything, but I suggest you use a diff viewer (WinMerge is recommended) to go through the changes I applied to your theme. I have attached a reviewed copy of your theme to this thread.
Tag soup... Really?  :-[
I mean, I knew that there must've been something wrong at some places... but... that worse? Anyway, thanks for correcting! I'll try to make it better next time.

I'm not trying to put you down, but it has cost me some time to finish this up. We welcome contributions, but prefer contributions that are ready for consumption already.
I don't feel as if I was put down. ;) I'm sorry that this was not as useful as I hoped it would be... The more I appreciate your efforts![/quote]

Your theme is not a real modpack theme, as it only uses one little feature (the buddy link in the navigation), so it will work with all versions. For the Linus theme I have commented out the Modpack function.
To match standards I have renamed this thread as well.
Ok... Will have a further look on the other functions I forgot.

P.S. Black text on dark brown background is not a good idea imo
??? I didn't use black text there. What went wrong?

Okay, I see there's much more to learn but hey, rome wasn't built in a day, right?
But I'll stop posting themes as long as I don't know if they're absolutely correct.

Don't know if you already mentioned but is there still anything to be changed in my theme or is it okay the way you attached it now?

Thanks for everything! Especially your patience!  ;)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Theme "Linus" for cpg1.4.x / Tom Welling theme for modpack
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:35 pm »

It's ready to be used that way. Not perfect, but OK.

But I'll stop posting themes as long as I don't know if they're absolutely correct.
Please don't stop. You're still learning, and you're not doing bad, so please go ahead and post what you have got. Like I said: I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe a theme with graphic resources that are not copyrighted would be better to start with... ;)

Starlight

• Starlight's Graphics
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:23 pm »

It's ready to be used that way. Not perfect, but OK.
Please don't stop. You're still learning, and you're not doing bad, so please go ahead and post what you have got. Like I said: I wasn't trying to put you down. Maybe a theme with graphic resources that are not copyrighted would be better to start with... ;)
hmm, okay, I'll keep it up.
But I'll really try to keep all these important things in mind the next time I want to draft a theme.
So then, thanks for all your corrections (as already said, I know, but that's sometimes hard work).

Starlight

• Starlight's Graphics
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:40 am »

Hmm, but you must have changed something that shouldn't be changed as well.  ;)
e.g. the black text. In my version it wasn't black.
And the background part is wrong. It's were I had put the padding thing in the template...
That's the only two wrong things.
But how could they be fixed?

(you did a great job! Everything's much tidier now)

Edit: Ok, I fixed the color issue but still the width of the black background is wrong. That's why I had to put the padding part into the template. Is there any better way to do that?

Edit: And I have another question. How about those copyrighted images? I mean, they are shown in fan galleries but I thought they are allowed to because of the disclaimer? Is there a way to use them although they have a copyright?
Would like to make a new header for "linus" that is ok for coppermine use.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:13:45 pm by Starlight »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »

The images from Linus Torvalds that I have used come from a source that explicitely allows usage (refer to readme). That's why I have said that my theme actually is a parody of a fan-site theme. I can't give you legal advice on your special case (using images that display an actor), but usually, the copyright owners of the images that are frequently used on fan sites don't sue the site owners, because they are actually fans. The star the fan-site is about usually is fond of appearing on fan-sites for publicity reasons, so usually the site-owner of fan sites don't get sued although they're doing something illegal (displaying copyrigthed images found somewhere else on the web). Just as a clarification: just because you found images used on publicly accessible web pages, you can not conclude that the images definitely are free to be used. It's your task to find out if they're copyrighted and what the terms and conditions apply to re-use of those images. Most legitimate home pages of celebrities have a press section where you can get images that can be used off-site. Most of them have a terms and conditions or disclaimer page as well. When in doubt, contact the site owner and ask for aproval to use the pics.
What most fan-sites actually do (scan other fan-sites, official home pages, press release, publish screengrabs etc.) is usually illegal. You can be held liable for illegally hosting copyrighted material.

This is a sticky thread by now (as you chose to post a theme contribution), so the rules of the support board no longer applies as this is not a support thread. Therefor, please ask individual issues on a separate thread on the support board.

Joachim

irishxlovex

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »

I have a problem since i installed this theme, i can't open the pictures anymore, i can see only thumbs and normal pictures :(

Example: http://www.13-bullets.com/displayimage.php?album=213&pos=14

If you click on the image, it doesn't open in a new window.
Can you help me?

p.s. Sorry for my bad english!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:33:26 am »

Not related to this theme, but to your improper edits. You shouldn't have hijacked the announcement for this theme. Instead, you should have read the docs first, especially http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/faq.htm#noFullsizePopup
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.