Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upload pictures from other ftp then yours?  (Read 4224 times)

Jelte

• Coppermine newbie
Upload pictures from other ftp then yours?
« on: April 23, 2004, 10:52:36 am »

Is it possible to add the pictures to your photobook (batch) without having them on your own server?

Like my domein is www.abc.com and i have the pictures stored in www.def.com. Is their a possibility to add the photo's to your www.abc.com photobook but having them stored on www.def.com

I hope you understand my problem, and have a possible solution for it  :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Upload pictures from other ftp then yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 11:02:44 am »

no - this is not possible, as the server your coppermine install runs on doesn't have access to another server's filesystem (this is by design), but cpg1.3.0 will feature upload by URL/URI - maybe that's what you're looking for (keep in mind although that cpg1.3.0 is currently still beta, which means: no support yet, use on your own risk).

GauGau

Jelte

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 11:08:53 am »

no - this is not possible, as the server your coppermine install runs on doesn't have access to another server's filesystem (this is by design), but cpg1.3.0 will feature upload by URL/URI - maybe that's what you're looking for (keep in mind although that cpg1.3.0 is currently still beta, which means: no support yet, use on your own risk).

GauGau

But if I add them bij URL/URI, must I upload every single photo? And then they still upload every photo to my server... and I need to host the files on another server (also mine). Is this something you are working on for the further releases?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 11:14:31 am by Jelte »

photoman13

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 02:26:39 pm »

But if I add them bij URL/URI, must I upload every single photo? And then they still upload every photo to my server... and I need to host the files on another server (also mine). Is this something you are working on for the further releases?

That sure would lead to LOADS of Bandwidth theft... I'd be against that.

Not only that but also broken links if the pictures get moved or deleted from the servers your recalling them from.

But, that's just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 02:33:50 pm by photoman13 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 03:08:50 pm »

The upload-by-URL feature from cpg1.3.0 copies the file from the remote server to your coppermine server, so it uses webspace on your server (disadvantage), but it won't get broken links if the remote server goes down (advantage).
I agree with photoman13 that it's not a good idea to have links in the coppermine database to remote servers, and I don't think such a feature will make it into the coppermine mainstream code in the near future, but of course a hack/mod would be ok.

@Jelte: that's the drawback of webspace with php and mysql: it' more expensive! Surely your request deals with the fact that you have expensive webspace with php and mysql where your coppermine gallery is running, and cheap webspace without php/mysql. I can understand your request, but I'd say you have to live with it, or get more expensive webspace with php/mysql.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.