Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: russian character in a text field  (Read 4004 times)

okiem

• Coppermine novice
russian character in a text field
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »

I use language on my page (based on the UTF-8) but sometinems i need tu use russian characters. Any time I try to put this letter (coded or no) I recive ascii code

& # 1050   .....

Is any wy to make visible russian characters in for eg. title field ? (not to changing general code page)

my page www.genealogia.okiem.pl/foto2

Nibbler

Re: russian character in a text field
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:49:18 pm »

You need to use UTF-8 if you want characters from different languages to show up properly. Convert your existing content using the charsetmgr.php

okiem

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:30:23 pm »

I dont't this so

There iare fields like  "description" or "title". It doesnt'w work like html page. On the page whe you yuse ascii cod like "& # 1050"  or "% A 3" you can see letter. In this field ascii code are not converted to letters, you still recive "& # 1050"  or "% A 3"

There is only possibility to use BB code, and only few of them.

Is no way to place russian characters if you are under different language (flag).

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:47:29 am »

Not related to PostNuke. You don't appear to be using PostNuke. Moving accordingly.

okiem

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:12:01 am »

OK - till nobady can help - i discover some way - but there should be more easy.

My way is: - I prepared new bbcode f.e. [ bla ] with changing to "& #" (without space of course) - eding code [ bla ] to ":"
So if I write
Code: [Select]
[bla]1050[/bla] i recive russian letter

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:39:14 pm »

You shouldn't have changed coppermine's default encoding utf-8 to iso8859-2 in the first place. That's where your issues come from. If you would have left the default encoding alone, you would have been fine and would have been able to use all charsets that you could think of. Now that you have done what you did (switching to iso8859-2), all the content in your database is in that encoding. If you want to go back to utf-8 encoding, you will have to convert all textual content in your database using the tool charsetmgr. That's what you have been told. Whining about things being difficult doesn't make much sense if it was you who made them difficult in the first place. As I said: you should have left coppermine's encoding alone. I have little sympathy for people who mess with things they don't understand and then come running, blaming the app that things start getting hard.

okiem

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:22:18 pm »

I have little sympathy for people who think that know know only answer for all problems. I try for two months using utf-2 with polish chcarcters, and all what I've got whas a mess in some fields. Believe me,  it wasn't my first idea to sweech encoding. I did what I had to.

There is lot of small nerving bugs in the program. F.e. If you  use bridge for most popular forums and before you'd made new group for some people, after changing back those people would be invisible, and is no more groups then default. (sorry for my english)

In most popular forum there are possibility of making your own bb code - there is always special page for preparing. In Copermine it is imposible.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:32:20 am »

I have little sympathy for people who think that know know only answer for all problems. I try for two months using utf-2 with polish chcarcters, and all what I've got whas a mess in some fields. Believe me,  it wasn't my first idea to sweech encoding.
utf-2 (if that exists at all) is not being supported in coppermine. Only utf-8 get's supported. Never heard of utf-2.
As I told you: you shouldn't have switched from utf-8 to your proprietary encoding in the first place. If you have issues switching back, then ask questions on that subject.

There is lot of small nerving bugs in the program. F.e. If you  use bridge for most popular forums and before you'd made new group for some people, after changing back those people would be invisible, and is no more groups then default. (sorry for my english)
So now this thread has become a rant about missing features or potential bugs of coppermine? OK, then please let us see your code contribution or at least a valid report on that issue. I've never seen that "bug" reported.
In most popular forum there are possibility of making your own bb code - there is always special page for preparing. In Copermine it is imposible.
Coppermine is not a BBS by the way: the focus of the developers is not on textual content, but on the presentation of images, because that's what most people use coppermine for.
We believe that those bbcode editors you refer to are bloat features for a gallery. Most galleries I'm aware of don't have such a feature. We don't compare Coppermine against forums.

okiem

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:22:59 pm »

utf-8 !!!! - not utf-2 (just mistake) - I used utf-8 and HAD PROBLEMS !!!!!!

and I dont use gallery as a forum - I have forum instead of gallery. Don't play me full please.  I whouldn't need create of bb code IF there was possibility of right display of regular polisg letter in all regular fields
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.