Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine should also allow Video  (Read 154494 times)

kieranmullen

• Coppermine novice
Re: Video/flash album?
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2004, 05:43:36 pm »

I downloaded the latest version and was able to upload a movie.  However it would be nice to have a separate thumbnail upload.

How it would work would be like this...

Once the program notices that the selected file is not an image file it would ask the user if they had their own thumbnail for the multimedia file that they would like to upload.

That way it could be sound or whatever.

How can I add a thumbnail for a movie format right now?

Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Coppermine should also allow Video
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2004, 07:45:52 pm »

Merged your posting with the thread that already contains a lengthy discussion about the video thumbnails.

GauGau

kieranmullen

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2004, 07:59:58 pm »

It wasnt so much video question.

Just a request to make the program have an option to have a manual upload for a thumbnail.

So it could be a sound, with a thumbnail, a zip file, with a thumbnail.  No just video related.

It it was done this way I think it would avoid many questions. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2004, 06:46:48 am »

the so-called video mod let's you upload all sort of files (sounds, documents etc.). If there was an uploadable thumbnail, it could be used for all sorts of files. I just wanted to point out that there has been a discussion on this. Why don't you go ahead and code a mod that will let you add custom thumbnails...?

GauGau

kieranmullen

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2004, 06:57:24 am »

I have no idea how to make one... sorry  :'(

lancefiasco

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • http://www.gcfiasco.com
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2004, 12:16:50 am »

lance,

Well it worked doing that.  Thanks for the tip.  There must be something we are missing though.  That is not very useful for members to upload their movies.  Do you have a work around for this?

Thanks,
Phil

Well actually I don't want my members to upload video, so it works for now. :lol:

Burpee

• Contributor
    • Vuurwerklook.com
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2004, 03:26:15 am »

Hmm... Suggestion:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to not display movies/large files in their own screen. Watching a movie in explorer doesn't cache the video.
So like this:
if filesize > 2mb { link directly to file }

... but then in real php :D
And ofcourse as an admin-settable option

And another thing, what happened to the idea of uploading thumbnails along with alternative filetypes?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2004, 02:53:07 pm »

@Burpee: You can upload thumbnails along with alternate file types:  just name it thumb_filename.  When you batch add, it finds the thumbnail and uses it for the description image.  I'm not sure if this works with a member upload, but in theory it should.

I also hate waiting for a movie to load - but since I don't use IE that much it doesn't bother me too much.   ;)  But seriously, the movies I post on my site are small (<300k) so I keep my members from waiting too long.  I think a good way around the problem would be to make a low-res verison of the movie, and zip the high res version and add it as a separate download.  Not a perfect solution, but it's a good stop-gap measure.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Burpee

• Contributor
    • Vuurwerklook.com
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2004, 06:02:20 pm »

@Burpee: You can upload thumbnails along with alternate file types:  just name it thumb_filename.  When you batch add, it finds the thumbnail and uses it for the description image.  I'm not sure if this works with a member upload, but in theory it should.

Figured that out about 30 minutes after I posted the message... it's still not a very pretty solution though  :-\\

I also hate waiting for a movie to load - but since I don't use IE that much it doesn't bother me too much.   ;)  But seriously, the movies I post on my site are small (<300k) so I keep my members from waiting too long.  I think a good way around the problem would be to make a low-res verison of the movie, and zip the high res version and add it as a separate download.  Not a perfect solution, but it's a good stop-gap measure.

Which would in effect mean that every movie would take up 30% more space than it would normally... I'm sharing primarily movies of 10mb+ so adding small extra movies would be a lot of extra work and a lot of extra space...
I still think it shouldn't be too difficult to tell it to give a direct link when the movie is larger than a certain size... I just have no idea how to do it :D

ludedude

• ATVANS
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2004, 02:57:36 am »

@Burpee: You can upload thumbnails along with alternate file types:  just name it thumb_filename.  When you batch add, it finds the thumbnail and uses it for the description image.  I'm not sure if this works with a member upload, but in theory it should.

I also hate waiting for a movie to load - but since I don't use IE that much it doesn't bother me too much.   ;)  But seriously, the movies I post on my site are small (<300k) so I keep my members from waiting too long.  I think a good way around the problem would be to make a low-res verison of the movie, and zip the high res version and add it as a separate download.  Not a perfect solution, but it's a good stop-gap measure.

Anyway to add thumnails AFTER the fact of uploading?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2004, 05:58:29 am »

@ludedude: just upload the thumb_filename.jpg image into the movie's directory.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2004, 06:04:18 am »

@Burpee: So, you're looking for something along the lines of this:  When a user clicks on a thumbnail of a movie, if the movie is larger than a specific size, a simple link is shown.  Clicking on that link will cause the member's movie player to open instead of being embedded in the intermediate screen.

Burpee

• Contributor
    • Vuurwerklook.com
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2004, 06:27:07 am »

@Burpee: So, you're looking for something along the lines of this:  When a user clicks on a thumbnail of a movie, if the movie is larger than a specific size, a simple link is shown.  Clicking on that link will cause the member's movie player to open instead of being embedded in the intermediate screen.

Exactly!

It'd be nice to somehow not have to click twice for a movie, but you do also want to display information

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2004, 06:49:26 am »

I think this should do the trick:  In displayimage.php, in function html_picture(), search for if ($mime_content['content']=='image').   The else statement (right after the elseif statement) will be changed from:

Code: [Select]
    } else {
            $pic_html = "<object {$image_size['whole']}><param name=\"autostart\" value=\"true\"><param name=\"src\" value=\"". $picture_url . "\"><embed {$image_size['whole']} src=\"". $picture_url . "\" autostart=\"true\"></embed></object><br />\n";
    }

to

Code: [Select]
    } else {
if (filesize($picture_url) > 1048500) {
$pic_html = "<a href=\"$picture_url\">Click to view movie</a><br />\n";
} else {
            $pic_html = "<object {$image_size['whole']}><param name=\"autostart\" value=\"true\"><param name=\"src\" value=\"". $picture_url . "\"><embed {$image_size['whole']} src=\"". $picture_url . "\" autostart=\"true\"></embed></object><br />\n";
}
    }

1048500 is approximately 1mb.  Change it to whatever cutoff you want.

Burpee

• Contributor
    • Vuurwerklook.com
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2004, 11:34:31 am »

Hmm... I could kiss you...  :-*
Works like a charm :)

ludedude

• ATVANS
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2004, 04:22:35 pm »

@ludedude: just upload the thumb_filename.jpg image into the movie's directory.

I tried, but no change :| It still shows the generic mpeg icon thumb  ???

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2004, 06:33:50 pm »

It should work.  If your video name is Untitled.mpg, your thumb should be thumb_Untitled.jpg.  Upload it via FTP to the same directory Untitled.mpg is in.

I tried a test mpg on my site and it worked.

ludedude

• ATVANS
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2004, 06:44:47 pm »

It should work.  If your video name is Untitled.mpg, your thumb should be thumb_Untitled.jpg.  Upload it via FTP to the same directory Untitled.mpg is in.

I tried a test mpg on my site and it worked.

I'll have to check things out then...thanks for testing it ;)

Burpee

• Contributor
    • Vuurwerklook.com
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2004, 01:36:07 pm »

I decided not to go with only the "Open/Save" link...
Instead, I went for another plan.
I want to create two links, one saying "Open in browser", one saying "Open/Save" ...
  • The Open/Save button would just be a regular link directly to the file
  • The Open in Browser button would be a popup window (such as the "fullsize" popup window) in which the movie is displayed.
So I decided to try and mod this. All the necessary code is in displayimage.php.
A few lines above the line kegobeer modified, there's "if ($mime_content['content']=='image') {" in which a popup link to the fullsize image is located.
I changed the lines for movies to the same popup link, but now I changed fullsize=1 to movie=1 in the link.
Then, with my far too limited knowledge of php I decided to attempt to modify the underlying code to show a small html file for a movie.
My attempt was to copy the function display_fullsize_pic() and rename it to function display_movie() and copying the html under it as well, and then modifying it. I think this is pretty much the only solution, except I just can't get it to work!

I actually tried to change it so that the the links would be located at the thumbnails, but seeing as I can't figure out how to make it create a different type of thumbnail for a movie when $mime-content = movie I didn't have any luck again (I know, I need to learn php lol).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:43:11 pm by Burpee »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2004, 05:46:46 am »

@ludedude: Question... Are you not seeing the custom thumbnail on the Coppermine main page and albums pages, or are you not seeing it on another page stored outside the coppermine directory?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.