Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?  (Read 4882 times)

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:22:48 am »

Just to be clear, this is not an idiotic question about how to remove the link, or edit it, or move it, or add text to it.

I have a slight twist on a question that was answered by a Dev Team member at http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,52365.0.html . In my case I am using a theme designed for use on an iPhone, using the iUI kit to establish the iPhone-specific UI and navigation. Because of the way the kit works (actually the way AJAX and iPhone UI works), it is not simply a matter of just editing the CSS.

I sincerely wish to honor the spirit of the license with regard to retaining the "Powered by" line. So I have worked around this by inserting my own copy of the link code into theme.php which *is* visible. You can see what I mean by viewing http://ttlens.net/cm?theme=mobiphone (WARNING: this may not show correctly on non-iPhone/non-WebKit browsers...don't get mad at me for that...I'll post some screen captures if needed). You should see that a "Powered by Coppermine" statement appears at the bottom of every "page"...but what is appearing is actually my code, not the original cpg-generated link (though of course that remains, untouched, in the HTML source).

So, to the point: I would like to hear from a Dev Team member or similar as to whether this approach is satisfactory. I really, really want to avoid troubles with this, as I am planning to eventually submit this theme to the cpg community. I want to make sure it is handled in an acceptable way.

Finally: please accept my apologies if this kind of question is asked/answered frequently, but because of the adamant stance of the licensing,  documentation, and moderators here, as well as the particulars of this theme/UI, I do not want to leave this to assumptions.

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:19 pm »

Update, in case you do not own an iPhone or do not have access to Safari browser: you can use http://iphonetester.com/ for a very close representation of what the theme looks like on an actual iPhone.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »

Thu's answer to the other thread applies to your's as well:
I think that that is fine, since it serves its intended purpose of maintaining credit.

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:52 pm »

Great! Thank you for confirming.

I will announce the theme separately...need to package it up and handle licensing for iUI too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.