Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?  (Read 4930 times)

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:22:48 am »

Just to be clear, this is not an idiotic question about how to remove the link, or edit it, or move it, or add text to it.

I have a slight twist on a question that was answered by a Dev Team member at http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,52365.0.html . In my case I am using a theme designed for use on an iPhone, using the iUI kit to establish the iPhone-specific UI and navigation. Because of the way the kit works (actually the way AJAX and iPhone UI works), it is not simply a matter of just editing the CSS.

I sincerely wish to honor the spirit of the license with regard to retaining the "Powered by" line. So I have worked around this by inserting my own copy of the link code into theme.php which *is* visible. You can see what I mean by viewing http://ttlens.net/cm?theme=mobiphone (WARNING: this may not show correctly on non-iPhone/non-WebKit browsers...don't get mad at me for that...I'll post some screen captures if needed). You should see that a "Powered by Coppermine" statement appears at the bottom of every "page"...but what is appearing is actually my code, not the original cpg-generated link (though of course that remains, untouched, in the HTML source).

So, to the point: I would like to hear from a Dev Team member or similar as to whether this approach is satisfactory. I really, really want to avoid troubles with this, as I am planning to eventually submit this theme to the cpg community. I want to make sure it is handled in an acceptable way.

Finally: please accept my apologies if this kind of question is asked/answered frequently, but because of the adamant stance of the licensing,  documentation, and moderators here, as well as the particulars of this theme/UI, I do not want to leave this to assumptions.

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Acceptable re-working to *retain* "Powered by Coppermine" link?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:36:19 pm »

Update, in case you do not own an iPhone or do not have access to Safari browser: you can use http://iphonetester.com/ for a very close representation of what the theme looks like on an actual iPhone.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »

Thu's answer to the other thread applies to your's as well:
I think that that is fine, since it serves its intended purpose of maintaining credit.

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:02:52 pm »

Great! Thank you for confirming.

I will announce the theme separately...need to package it up and handle licensing for iUI too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.