Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Groups for Albums too, not just users.  (Read 6946 times)

windyweather

• Coppermine novice
    • Windy Weather Photos
Multiple Groups for Albums too, not just users.
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:26:28 pm »

Not sure if this is has been submitted. A search did not turn up anything.

If you have a complex set of users and a large site, then you are bound to run into the case of wanting two, possibly disjoint, groups of users to see the same album. No way to do that. A user can belong to multiple groups, but an album is in only one group. and if the groups of users is large then adding a new group just for this album and then putting all users of both of those groups into yet another group is a real pain.

A general solution to the permissions problem needs to have multiple group assignments for both albums and users.

- w

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Multiple Groups for Albums too, not just users.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:24:23 am »

So, basically you request a more granular user, group and permission management. Has been considered in the past. Downside is that more options will make it more complicated for complete newbies.

Dog_Pound

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:30:16 pm »

I agree this would be an excellent option.  I don't think it would need to be complex though as it could be done at the album level.  Just a selection list of the different groups appearing in the album properties so you could select which groups could see the same album.  The way things are right now for me, since I have integrated my phpbb groups into coppermine and have 6 different groups, I will have to create duplicate albums for each group where I want more than one to see the same album.  If it couldn't be done at the album level due to complexities, then maybe a config settings where you could set inherited rights to another groups or multiple groups permissions?

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:40:17 am »

A general solution to the permissions problem needs to have multiple group assignments for both albums and users.
150% agree. Urgently needed.

Downside is that more options will make it more complicated for complete newbies.

Not really  ;)
If you can install CPG on a webhost, you should be able to handle a few default usergroups.
Instead of one dropdown you'll click a few checkboxes... Can't be that difficult...  ;D

To be honest: I was very disappointed to see CPG 1.5 will not have this feature. I'm hoping for it since I first bridged CPG with phpBB, must have been 4 or 5 years ago. And it looks like it won't be before 1.6, so another two or three years without decent rights management?   :(

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:26:50 am »

We are now in the feature freeze stage. I suggest to schedule this feature for cpg1.6.x. And I hope we can release cpg1.6.x faster than cpg1.5.x 8)

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:27 pm »

We are now in the feature freeze stage.

yes, i know.

I'd love to share your optimism, but... how long did it take from 1.3 to 1.5 beta..?  ::)
Must stop here, getting OT  ;D

Please no 1.6 without extended permission system!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.