Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing/updating images?  (Read 2546 times)

heiesuke

• Coppermine newbie
Replacing/updating images?
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:28:35 am »

Hi there kind people, i would love to know how i can replace or update uploaded pics in Coppermine. I tried to do it thru FTp and file-manger but even when i CHMOD the directories to give myself permission i am still denied access. i'm not sure if this is as simple as i think it is but is there a way to replace or update an image without deleting it i wanna preserve all the views rating etc...and just replace the pic with a newer modified version of itself. thanx in advance. BTW here's the link to my Coppermine gallery Heiesuke.com

Warning: Site material not work safe.
-Edit- it's art but contains some mild *nudity*

heiesuke

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 08:03:49 pm »

bump, anyone??? not even the mod who edited my post? lol

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:12:13 pm »

Hi, if you can't overwrite the files by ftp, then you have a problem.

If you can, and the image is the same size as the original, just replace the original with the new, and then use the admin tool resize utility to rebuild the thumb and normal size pics. If a different size, you will have to update the sizes in the database by hand.

In future, please allow at least a day before 'bumping'.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

heiesuke

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 08:44:57 pm »

sorry about that i saw all these other questions being answered and i got antsy. so u say i have a problem... what kinda problem would that be if ya don't mind? is it locked somewhere on the gallery side or something else?

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:20:53 pm »

Usually if you are not able to overwrite the image files over FTP, it is due to server configuration. For example, the webserver may be registered as the owner of the image files.  If you are not in the same group as the webserver, or if you are but did not set Coppermine's FTP mode to allow group writing, then it will not let you overwrite them.  You will have to have the admin delete the files if this is the case.
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)

heiesuke

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 02:38:38 am »

Quote from: "hyperion"
Usually if you are not able to overwrite the image files over FTP, it is due to server configuration. For example, the webserver may be registered as the owner of the image files.  If you are not in the same group as the webserver, or if you are but did not set Coppermine's FTP mode to allow group writing, then it will not let you overwrite them.  You will have to have the admin delete the files if this is the case.

wow thank you, so there's no way to reverse and make Coppermine give me permission?

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 03:23:24 am »

I should clarify that Coppermine really isn't in control at this point.

The first thing you need to do is ask your host if the webserver is in the same group as you. If it is, then it is simply a matter of changing the FTP setting in Coppermine's Config console so that newly created files will have the appropriate group permissions.  

The files that have already been created are under the webserver's control now, and you will not be able to touch them if you are not in the same group and/or if the group permissions were not set properly.

Some hosts do not put the webserver in a group with anyone else because they either forget or feel it is a security measure. This will always cause problems with any program that needs to create its own files.  Hosts that do this for security know that it means extra work when they have to delete/overwrite files created by the webserver (in this case Coppermine).

PHP's chown or chgrp functions might be able to fix this problem by changing the ownership/group when the files are created, but they are usually disabled/non-functional.  You will need to discuss the best way to approach this issue with your webhost.
"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org%2Fproducts%2Ffirefox%2Fbuttons%2Fgetfirefox_small.png&hash=9f6d645801cbc882a52f0ee76cfeda02625fc537)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.