Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just after some good advise  (Read 1807 times)

Halfhidden

Just after some good advise
« on: October 10, 2008, 12:31:03 am »

I have Stramm's mod pack installed and love it to death. Before I start I need to say that this isn't really a support question otherwise I would post this in the Stramm area.... this is really a Coppermine question that has been exaggerated because of the mod I install. Let me explain. My members get notification of comments placed on a picture that they had previously placed comment on and they also get comments from picture that they had uploaded. Now this was all well and fine until we got 850 members and introduced a mystery picture section, the comments have gone Wilde. As an admin I get between 300 and 500 emails a day now. The members are also getting a lot more emails than they use to. I know that there are ways to un subscribe to these by clicking on the button at the bottom of the comments or turn it off at the config.... I was just wondering if anyone could tell me of a good compromise that would allow the members notification of comments without flooding (spamming) their inbox. The members still want the comments but not as emails or pop ups.... I'm stuck for ideas, but would pay to get this scripted and then donate that script here. I believe this could be useful to Coppermine.

Thanks for reading my post... any ideas would be great  ;D

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Just after some good advise
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:06 am »

I suggest reviewing the mod you have in place that sends the notification emails: make it store a date in the database when a user has received an email. Edit the event triggers that sends the email: add a lookup for the date when the last email has been sent: if it has been sent on the same day, make the function die without sending an email.
Another option would be to add a note to the email itself at the bottom that explains how users can unsubscribe.
Basically, your request sound a bit like one of the bad jokes like "help me doctor: every time I hit myself on the head with a bat it hurts so badly". There is a reason why the dev team is reluctant to add more functionality to coppermine's core that sends even more notification emails. You just figured out why we're reluctant to send emails: they become a nuisance pretty soon.

Halfhidden

Re: Just after some good advise
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:20 am »

Thanks for the reply. I agree that this once useful feature has quickly become a spam tool, unwittingly we boast that we don't spam our members!
The advice you have offered is good, thanks...... I'll have the mod hacked and the hack placed in Stramm's topic in case this is useful for anyone else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.