Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started with 1and1 hosting  (Read 8295 times)

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
Getting started with 1and1 hosting
« on: September 26, 2008, 07:52:19 am »

Hey Guys

I am having trouble getting the process down for installing CPG on 1and1. We are looking at getting the home package, which is more than enough for what we need. I know some people have had issues with larger images, but we will be dealing with images mostly less than 100k and probably no larger than 100x100 pixels. As expected 1and1 has been of little help and after 4 emails with tech support, I decided to post here.

Can anyone who has 1and1 with CPG installed advise the steps needed to get this up and running smoothly on the Home package. I know that Imagemagick requires SSH access and the home package does not have that. They say that GD can be installed with the Home package, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Also, we want to have a subdomain point to CPG as the main domain points to files on another server. Is this setup possible?

Thanks for any assistance.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Getting started with 1and1 hosting
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:25:09 pm »

If you have issues with uploading, do exactly as suggested in the docs, section "asking for support on upload issues". Moving accordingly from the install sub-board, as I assume that you have performed the install already.
Coppermine runs fine on sub-domains - they are usually set up as sub-folder within the domain root. However, this is something you have to figure out by reading the docs your webhost provides - we can't help you with that.
Keep in mind as well that 1&1 is a global player, so you should post more details: I'm pretty sure that the packages they offer differ from country to country.

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:15:55 pm »

Hi Joachim

Actually I have not yet installed anything, I am stuck right at that point. If it helps I am using 1and1.com in the US. So far I have determined that Imagemagick is not supported. So I guess GD is the only option. We are literally stuck at what to do first with 1and1.

I have been to the GD website and the support documentation is beyond my comprehension, it appears there are two files available for download with each version, I have no idea which file needs to be downloaded or how to proceed once downloaded. Anyone that has CPG working on 1and1 have any idea on the first step to take?

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:03:29 pm »

You need to find out if your host supports ImageMagick or GD2. Neither of these are things you install yourself. I couldn't find any detailed info at their site so you'll probably need to ask them.

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:10:30 pm »

Hey Nibbler

Below is the response I got from 1and1

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, you can still install GD Library and Coppermine to the home package. But for the Imagemagick it is not possible because it requires SSH access.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

I have a slight feeling that they are not sure what I am referring to.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:53:17 pm »

Just follow the install instructions in the docs. 1and1.com will work with coppermine though they have some tight upload limits so if you want files above 2meg in coppermine then you will need to bach add them via ftp. Aside from that it is an OK service.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Hey Phill104

If I just go ahead and following the installation instructions given in the Docs, where does that leave me as far as dealing with GD? Are we assuming that 1and1 already has this installed and all I need to do is upload the coppermine files to webspace, set permissions and initiate the install?

Nibbler

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 11:23:59 pm »

If your pics are no larger than 100 pixels then you don't really need GD anyway, unless that was a typo.

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 04:54:46 am »

Hey Nibbler

Thanks for the info there, I was not aware of that. However, if we do have images that are bigger than 100 pixels, will be need it. In any event, to the folks that do have 1and1 hosting, how did they accomplish this installation?

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 05:07:42 am »

Sorry guys, I should be more specific, my question is for those that have 1and1 and want GD installed, how did you go about this process?

PCNET

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 06:14:00 am »

TO Nibbler, that indeed was a typo, I think I got carried away with the 100. Images we expect will be less than 100k in general, but will be between 300-350 pixels.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 08:28:55 am »

You don't have to install GD at all. It already is installed on 1&1's webserver. Just install coppermine, choose "GD2" as method for resizing pics during the install process and you should be fine. As Nibbler already told you: neither GD2 nor ImageMagick can be installed by users on shared webhosting. If 1&1 say that it exists, that's fine. Go ahead and install coppermine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.