Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: email associated with ecards  (Read 4342 times)

jtothek3030

• Coppermine novice
email associated with ecards
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:52:10 pm »

hi, i'm having a problem with my host (bluehost)...they say that my @domain-name.com email is being used for spam...i use only CMG script.  I am using 1.4.19 (stable) and after turning off my outgoing email with host, my ecards don't work anymore.

my question is if i change the email in configurations (Gallery administrator email) to a hotmail address, will this bypass my domain name email? or does this still get routed through the domain name email address

thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: email associated with ecards
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:08:14 am »

If your webhost allows you to send emails for that hotmail account (which I doubt) everything will work as expected. If they don't allow that, it won't. We can not help your with this - ask your webhost for support. They should have a proposal what to do. If your email address has been abused for spam, find out if it was using your server (and subsequently your ecard feature) or if someone just abused the address and not the server. If they used the server, disallow anonymous ecards and then ask your webhost to re-enable your email address. If just the address got abused, using another server for relaying the spam, ask your webhost to re-enable your email address spot-on, since you can't be held responsible for third parties abusing your email address. Better still: get another email account @your-domain-name.tld and use that instead of the old account. Anyway, anonymous ecards should be off, as they indeed allow malevolent people to abuse your coppermine gallery to send out emails to people who don't want to be emailed.
If you ask my personal opinion: ecards suck anyway, they are a feature from the nineties and should be dropped entirely.

jtothek3030

• Coppermine novice
Re: email associated with ecards
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:32:09 am »

thanks for the reply...i just ended up having my host turn off all email associated with all my domains, too bad because i received a lot of referals that way, but oh well
cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.