Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use more than 1 theme?  (Read 2434 times)

Peter Palm

• Coppermine newbie
Can I use more than 1 theme?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:15:34 pm »

Hey guys, I'm using the waterdrop theme for my gallery on a 550 pixel wide page.
Is it possible to make it so that the visitor can choose to open a new wider window with a different theme???
Or can you only use one theme per gallery?

Appreciate your replies.
Peter

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Can I use more than 1 theme?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »

Sure, you can use as many themes as you like. That's why we have created a theme selector that you can enable or disable in coppermine's config. However, it's not a bright idea to molest people with opening a new window (although it's no problem in technical terms). I suggest reviewing the idea to use different themes unless you have valid reasons. I can only see the following reasons that would justify offering additional themes:
  • Offering a lightweight theme for users on limited bandwidth connection
  • Offering a theme with bright contrast and big fonts for users with impaired eyesight
  • Offering a theme that works in small resolutions for mobile gadgets with small screen resolutions (can be tricky)
  • Displaying different themes because your gallery is actually about website design and you want to display different theme designs (that's what we do on our demo)

If you don't fall into one of those categories I strongly suggest to review the idea to offer different themes: it's a better idea to focus on your gallery's content instead of focusing on the representation. Offering different themes is a geekish feature that only confuses regular site visitors and gets hardly ever used.

Technically, you just add the URL parameter theme. Take a look at the documentation to find out details.

If you want detailed answers, do as suggested per board rules (you agreed to respect them when signing up) and post a link to your gallery for a start. We're not ready to provide detailed support if people disrespect board rules out of sheer laziness to read them in the first place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.