Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dowm load limit  (Read 10975 times)

shilow1864

• Coppermine newbie
dowm load limit
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:59 am »

the ability to set daily downloads for different user classification. So users just go stupid on my site and sit their for hours downloading and they never upload new files. Be nice to have someway to set these greedily takers to a limit.
Shilow >:(

hobert

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Re: down load limit
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:06:37 pm »

The only real problem I can think of is that the file is inherently being downloaded to the viewer's computer when they simply look at the picture.

You can do all sorts of tricks (like the invisible gif or messing with the right click menu) to hobble most normal viewers from grabbing the full-size image but those are easily gotten around by anyone with experience (or the ability to effectively use Google).  There might be a way to cut off viewing the full size images, somehow, but a little research and investigation would let a person go straight to the image via typing in the URL (after all, your thumbs are a standard renaming scheme and a standard location).

You might try something where you force everyone to log in (and can't see anything or only certain albums until they do) and then cut them off if they don't post so often/so much/at all.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: dowm load limit
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »

A scheme like the one proposed by shilow would log out legitimate search engine spiders as well. I strongly doubt that it will go into a future release. I suggest setting up different user groups with increasing level of access permissions. Promote your users as they upload to a higher level of viewing privileges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.