Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: The dreaded "Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image"  (Read 5130 times)

tngenewhiz

• Coppermine newbie

What Joachim is asking is that you read the docs here
http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble
and then do what is asked especially what is written in red once you have applied the settings suggested.
You have to understand that if 9 out of 10 people don't do this then that is a lot of time wasted by the support team asking you to do so. On a very busy board like this that adds up. The team do all this work for free and develop the software in their spare time for free. It is not a lot to ask that those who use it put some effort in themselves and read the docs thereby making life a lot easier for the devs.

I completely understand and appreciate the need for structured preliminary requirements for support.

Today, I have been getting errors while trying to do HTTP uploads logged in as the Administrator in order to test a brand-new 1.4.19 patch.

The error is
The file 'albums/userpics/10001/Becky~2.jpg' can't be inserted in the album
Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image.
File: /serverpath/pics.acuff.org/db_input.php - Line: 402

I read the document at http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble and have created a test user (ID test / passwd test) at http://pics.acuff.org and turned on debug for everyone.

I have GD set as the resize tool.  As far as I know, I do not have access to a php.ini file because of shared hosting.

I hope I've done everything correctly, so that someone might be able to identify my issue. 

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: The dreaded "Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:01 pm »

I completely understand and appreciate the need for structured preliminary requirements for support.

There is also a requirement for you to start your own thread instead of hijacking others. It gets really hard to follow multiple problems in one thread especially when they are all different problems.

I've split your topic from the other thread accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:50:23 pm by phill104 »
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:50:52 am »

Try 755. Read up the permissions section of the docs for details. And as Phil suggested: please don't hijack someone else's thread in the future.

tngenewhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:54:58 am »

Try 755. Read up the permissions section of the docs for details. And as Phil suggested: please don't hijack someone else's thread in the future.
My sincere apologies for the faux pas.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:55:01 am »

Issue solved?

tngenewhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:30:12 am »

Issue solved?

No.

I reviewed the documentation on permissions and double-triple-checked the settings on my directories in Coppermine.  I ran versioncheck to make sure after I manually checked all the permissions recursively.  I even set everything to 777 temporarily, just to see if that would make a difference.  I was still unable to upload a photo while logged in as the admin user.   Of course, I immediately reset all the permissions appropriately.

I discovered an image had been uploaded by the Test user I created for forum users to troubleshoot my issue, but that image is not showing in the Last Uploads display on the site.  I logged in as Test user and attempted to upload via HTTP.  I chose the same file I could not load while logged in as the admin user, and I got the same "Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image" error -- with the Test user's directory path specified.

So, I am at a standstill at this point.  I resorted to requesting assistance from my hosting company, even though they do not usually support third-party Web apps.  I would prefer to find the answer through the Coppermine forum, however, in case others have a similar issue.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 09:42:23 am »

Have you checked the ownership of the folders?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

tngenewhiz

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:46:47 pm »

Have you checked the ownership of the folders?
Thank you, yes.  All folders in the sub-domain where Coppermine is installed show the same owner/group as every other domain/subdomain associated with the user account.  Other features and programs are functioning correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.