Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate File Names Not Allowing Backup  (Read 7498 times)

Scott O

• Coppermine newbie
Duplicate File Names Not Allowing Backup
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:14:06 am »

I'm somewhat new so please forgive me if I did not post this in the right thread.

I am moving my Coppermine Photo Gallery from one domain to another.  I found instructions the instructions on how to do that in the FAQ here: http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/faq.htm#moveGallery and I am following the instructions very closely.

HOWEVER...

When I try to download all my Coppermine files from the existing gallery, I find that several of the photos have the same filename in the same directory on my server but in different case.  For example, there might be a file named flower.jpg and another named Flower.jpg.  When I try to download these, I get a message that the file flower.jpg already exists and would I like to replace it with Flower.jpg.  I can't download both files to the same directory.

I did a search on the forums here to see if there was a hack or plug-in to help me batch rename the offending files, but the only one I found is this one which is very outdated: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,3185.0.html

When I set-up my Coppermine Photo Gallery a couple years ago, it was done using version 1.3.3 I believe.  I have regularly update to the newest versions of Coppermine and am using the latest version currently.

Since there are over a thousand images in the different albums of my Coppermine Gallery, I'm wondering if there would be an easy way to fix this problem by batch renaming all the files or some other fix.  I would say there are probably only 50-100 duplicate name files but trying to find them all among a couple thousand files would be a huge headache.

Can anyone help me out?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Duplicate File Names Not Allowing Backup
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

This is actually a problem with your OS. Windows isn't properly case sensitive so when you are downloading your files it is getting its nickers in a twist.

I boot into linux to do all my file transfers as then I know I will not have any problems such as this. You can download versions of Linux that run from CD and include an ftp client so you don't even need to set up a full install, just use a memory stick or separate drive for storage.

There is probably another way of doing it in windows but as I never go down this route I have not researched it.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:45:30 am »

Phil's explanation is absolutely correct. There's no easy remedy for the discrepancy in naming conventions between Windows and Lunix, so you either have to take care of those issues manually (i.e. rename the files on the server using the plugin File replacement plugin to make them unique) or use the workaround suggested by Phil (using a Linux box to handle the transfer).

steveeh131047

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:33 pm »

If you have the option in your ftp client to order your view of the remote files by filename, it might be fairly easy to spot the duplicates. Not an impossible job to then change 50 or so file names manually.

Steve

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:54:24 am »

Keep in mind though that you have to reflect the renaming performed in your FTP app in Coppermine's database as well.

Scott O

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:57:20 am »

Thank you all.  I did go through and rename/replace the files using a combination of your suggestions.  Once done, I was able to successfully back-up and move the gallery to a new server.

Thanks!

Cleaner007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:15 pm »

As for duplicates problems i always use Clone Remover. In my opinion it's the best duplicate file finder and remover.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:58:07 am »

Doesn't take care of the records in coppermine's database though, and only runs on your Windows-driven client, so it's sort of too late to run it on the client, as the files with identical file names (except capitalization) don't even make it through the transfer throug FTP from the Linux box to the PC. I can see that you're only trying to be helpful, but in the case brought up by the thread starter your suggested tool won't be of any help.

Cleaner007

• Coppermine newbie
need some advice
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 10:17:50 pm »

Hi!
I need some advice. There are a lot of mp3 duplicates in my pc and i'm looking for some app to find duplicate mp3 files and delete them. What would you advise for me?
Thanks )

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:14:46 am »

@Cleaner007: I have merged your shameless advert with the last posting where you promoted the app that you're obviously affiliated with. You're acting as if you were a user who is asking for help, but you obviously are not. I'm fed up of jerks like you who try to spam boards with your silly product adverts. Your product is in no way related to coppermine, nor will it solve any of the issues people have with coppermine. Quite frankly, without having looked at your app, I rather think that it sucks, simply because you have to use such lame methods to advertize it. And yes, in my opinion you suck as well, so you're banned. Don't bother to re-register: I read each and every posting on this board anyway and I even follow the links that people post, so I'll figure out if you re-register anyway. All future references to your website or your product will be deleted without further notice, so you won't even improve your page rank with your silly efforts.
Instead of trying to promote your app in the silly manner you do, you should spend your time to improve your app.

I can only warn anybody who came across your app by visiting this thread not to install it - people who use such silly methods as "Cleaner007" to promote their app probably are no saints, but rather selfish people. The app in question maybe even is Trojan-infested. Don't use clone-remover by moleskinsoft! At least heir marketing staff are a bunch if incompetent morons!

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.