Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery with no photo upload possible?  (Read 2270 times)

sytze

• Coppermine newbie
Gallery with no photo upload possible?
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:35 pm »

Hi again - just honoring your one question per topic policy.

Please have a look at my site first: http://yourcountry.co.za (it will redirect to flowscape.co.za). You're welcome to register - I will delete it later - just tell me the usr and when.

This is community project to report dangerous situations and shortcomings with municipal services. Users register and upload photos. Many do not have photos, so I would like them to submit the details/fields and replace the photo with a dummy jpg.

I installed Coppermine 1.4.16 with Fantastico - I know that there is a security realease and also know Fantastico has previously messed up some installations. Mine seems fine.

Any suggetions?

Best regards

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
Re: Gallery with no photo upload possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10:05 pm »

Yes, Don't use Fantastico.

Upgrade ASAP. Then post.
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:51:38 am »

You're welcome to register - I will delete it later - just tell me the usr and when.
We definitely won't go through the registration process and spread our emails that way accross the internet just for the sake of being able to help. If you want us to take a look, provide a non-admin test user account that you can later savely delete once your issue is solved.

As suggested in this thread and the other one:
1) don't use fantastico - it sucks
2) Upgrade; there is no alternative to running the most recent stable (currently cpg1.4.18), as all versions before cpg1.4.18 contained a serious flaw that is being actively exploited. You wouldn't want your coppermine get hacked, maybe even with a backdoor left behind by the attacker so that even after upgrading later the attacker could return and manipulate your site.

We're not going to argue about the need to keep your gallery up-to-date: there is a reason why we release maintenance releases. Everyone who is reluctant to use the most recent stable release is on his own with all his/her issues.

In your situation, I suggested advising your users (with some additional text on the registration or the upload screen) that they should upload a plain text file instead of an actual pic if they just want to report an issue without submitting a corresponding pic. However, I can't see the point in using coppermine (or any other gallery app) for your purposes - imo it would be better to use another application type for what you're up to. I don't want to discourage you: of course coppermine can be used for what you intend it to us, but in my experience, people find it harder to understand the mechanisms of a gallery app than for example a forum. This being said, I rather suggest that you use a forum app (like SMF that we use a here as a support forum) instead. Coppermine is great for displaying pics - to use it for something else is possible, but always a workaround.

sytze

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:37:31 pm »

We definitely won't go through the registration process and spread our emails that way accross the internet just for the sake of being able to help.
Then use a bogus email.

I'm upgrading now, talk to you in a week.

Appreciated.

Nibbler

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »

Then use a bogus email.

Many sites require email activation.

I'm upgrading now, talk to you in a week.

Doesn't take that long...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.