Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Within the rules  (Read 1796 times)

Halfhidden

[Solved]: Within the rules
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:13 pm »

Just wanted to post this statement and check to make sure that I'm not breaching Coppermine rules by using the software in this fashion.
Firstly I'd like to say that Coppermine is absolutely the best image gallery around... Despite my past outburst (for which I have already apologised) I have a huge admiration for the script and those who dedicate there time to supporting it.... For that thanks.
This isn't support related, but I cannot post this else where. Since installing Coppermine I've been pushing for more and more interaction from my users. Because of my lack of scripting abilities and understanding of the script I've been trying to do things that Coppermine was never expected to do in the first place. So I've been looking for a way to increase the interactiveness of the site. I've come across a script called MKPortal. They offer a version of Coppermine that is inferior to your version. their version cannot be bridged because Coppermine would need to be installed in a sub domain, and that is just the start of the problems. I'm confident that that version isn't supported on here anyway.
So I looked at using an iframe to show the gallery in MKPortal..... I've yet to sort the Java out to fix the obvious table settings, but I'm sure this can be sorted. Would this kind of use be within your rules? The Coppermine script would not be altered in any way and the DB tables still be cpg14x_
The iframe will be temporary until I work out how to call this from the sub domain with includes (it's a closely guarded secret on their site for some reason).

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Regards,
Steff
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 06:02:54 pm by Joachim Müller »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Within the rules
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:55 am »

Sure, go ahead. Coppermine is being released under the GNU GPL, so you can basically do anything with it on your website (the exceptions are being mentioned in the docs, license page). Of course you're allowed to display it within an iframe. It's just that iframes (as well as "regular" frames) have serious drawbacks, but that's your decision to use them.

Joachim

P.S. You probably meant "JavaScript", not "Java" - people often tend to confuse those two terms. They are entirely different animals.

Halfhidden

Re: Within the rules
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:55:37 pm »

Yes that's true I was referring to JavaScript.
Thanks for the reply.... It's important to me to know that I'm using this gift of yours (Coppermine) within your rules.

Regards,
Steff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 19 queries.