Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Can I delete the Pictures I have FTP to the temp directory.  (Read 3431 times)

dawg2kat

• Coppermine newbie
  • It's a Dawgz Life.

I Created a file structure in the Album directory as instructed. Once I have done the batch add of the files, can I delete the files from the temp dir so I don't have to look through so much each time I want to add more files to again batch upload to the database.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:11:58 pm by Nibbler »
Dawg

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
Re: Can I delete the Pictures I have FTP to the temp directory.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:30:49 am »

Once you have used, yes. They are going to erase itself time to time BTW.
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:16:02 am »

No, that is wrong. The files don't get moved somewhere else - they remain where you uploaded them to in the first place. There is no temporary folder involved.

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:38:24 pm »

can I delete the files from the temp dir
I'm sorry,I thought so. I thought that was way that cpg works. I think I misunderstood something I read on the forum.

@dawg2kat: Sorry if I confused you.  :(
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

dawg2kat

• Coppermine newbie
  • It's a Dawgz Life.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:45:47 pm »

Thanks for the input, I too thought it was a temp dir structure for the ftp upload and that they were moved to a different database after the batch add.
Now I wish I had set up the file structure a little different so it would more mirror the actual albums, some old dawgz just need to learn the new tricks.

Thanks again for your responses.
Dawg

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

OK, let me explain where a temporary folder is involved: inside the albums-folder, you'll find a sub-folder named "edit" - that's the only temporary folder coppermine is using. It is being used for internal purposes only: if you use http uploads and the user has already uploaded several pics, they go to that folder first. The user then has to assign the uploaded files to albums, which is the moment when the uploaded files get moved from the temporary folder to the actual sub-folders of the userpics folder. If he doesn't assign the uploaded files to albums (or something goes wrong), the temporary files remain in the edit-folder, where the garbage collection takes care of them from time to time and deletes older temporary files. This mechanism is necessary because the http upload mechanism can be tricky to handle, seen from the perspective of a programmer: al kind of weird things could happen (the files could be too large, there could be no more webspace left, the target folder might lack the needed write permissions for the script. Using the temporary folder for http uploads just makes coppermine's http upload mechanisms more reliable, which was the reason why it has been designed the way it is.
FTP uploads are a totally different animal: as the initial FTP upload isn't being performed by coppermine, but the user himself (using his FTP client), it's his task to make sure the files he tried to upload are actually there where they are expected. What the batch-add process does is adding the files that already are physically where you want them to be to the database. To make sure that you understand this concept: the database itself doesn't contain the files - think of it as a logical structure only, that keeps track of the physical location of the files and some other parameters (like dimensions, the album the file resides in etc.). Think of the database as a phone book that doesn't actually contain the people it lists, nor does it contain wires nor phones: all a phone book consists of are records that point to something in real life (a person's name & address & phone number).

I too thought it was a temp dir structure for the ftp upload and that they were moved to a different database after the batch add.
Now I wish I had set up the file structure a little different so it would more mirror the actual albums, some old dawgz just need to learn the new tricks.
This piece of advice has already been there all along the different versions of coppermine; from the docs:
Uploading pics by FTP / Batch-Add Pictures

It is recommended that the coppermine admin use ftp to upload multiple pics/files at a time. Use your ftp software to create sub-folders within your_coppermine_directory/albums/, where your ftp uploads can be saved. Though not mandatory, it's always a good idea to have a folder structure within the albums folder that reflects or mirrors your coppermine categories and albums.

Marking thread as "solved".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.