Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i have some questions  (Read 1755 times)

miriam

• Coppermine newbie
i have some questions
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:31:23 pm »

i am new to coppermine--will someone have pity on me and answer a few questions? i tried reading the documentation and am confused.
1. am i wasting my time entering keywords----are they picked up by search engines ? if not what can i do to get my site picked up by search engines?
 2. if keywords are picked up by search engines ---i notice that when i am adding pictures to albums directly after uploading them the keyword screen automatically fills in-------it doesn't do this when i leave the keyword box blank and try to add them in the edit pictures screen. is there a way to enable this feature ?  thanks you can email answers to miriam@mysisterdalesgarden.com 

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: i have some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:51:54 pm »

1. We have a strict 1 question per thread policy. Which you agreed to when signing up.
2. It is not helpfull to other to have the answers emailed to you. That way others can not benefit from the answers given you.

The keywords you give for pictures are not for search engine use. They are used within cpg.

Just as a reminder: below are the forum policies that everyone agreed to when signing up:
Forum Policies

1. Read the documentation first!
The documentation that comes with coppermine should answer most newbie questions.

2. Read the FAQ

3. Search the board
The search facility on the forums is probably your best friend when having a problem, there is a good chance that someone else has had the problem you are having and that a solution has been posted before, so to try and get an answer straight away use this tool. If at first you don't seem to find what you are looking for try again with different words.

4. Read the stickies
Threads marked with a pin are listed at the very top of each board. They contain answers to many questions that were posted over and over again, or they may contain important announcements from the dev team. They also contain information what kind of postings are allowed on a particular sub-board and what information supporters need to answer your questions. Make sure to read the stickies on a board before posting to it.

5. Choose the proper board for your posting
All boards have a brief description of what its threads should contain. Make sure to post in the board that fits your issue most.

6. Use a meaningfull subject line
When posting on a support board, it's very likely that you need help, as much as everyone else who looks for help there, so don't use subject like "Help me please" or "Newbie needs help". Other "bad" subject lines are "Important", "I have a little question" etc.
Instead, use a short phrase that describes your problem - this will make things easier for supporters as well as other users who might encounter a similar problem and browse the board for relevant postings.

7. Be detailed
Post as many details as possible on the issue you're facing; for a start, you should post a link to your gallery and a test user account (without admin privileges). If the page in question can't be accessed by "regular" users (e.g. admin pages), post a screenshot.

8. Post links
When posting a support request, it's helpfull for supporters in most cases to see what the actual page looks like, that's why it's recommended that you always post a link to your coppermine gallery page when asking for support. If your site contains adult content, make sure to post a warning together with your link!

9. Add attachments
You can add files (some file types at least) to your posting on the board. When composing a message, click on "Additional options" at the bottom left of the screen and use the "upload attachment" function there. For security reasons you can not post executables or php files - rename them to txt or put them into a zip archive instead.

10. One question per thread
We have a strict "One question/issue per thread rule", which helps both supporters/moderators to keep track of open/closed issues as well as users who search the board or browse it, looking for answers to their question. Don't try to "hijack" other's threads by posting unrelated questions to an existing thread.

11. Post publicly
Sending private messages to supporters or devs, asking for help or support is a bad idea. The whole point of a support board is that others can see your questions and the replies. There is no individual support by email or private message. If sensitive information like an admin account is needed, the supporter will ask for it.

Supporters are reluctant to answer the same questions over and over again. If you chose not to read the docs and search first, or if you don't stick to this board's policies it's likely to get a harsh answer, or no answer at all. Keep in mind that all who work on this project are volunteers who don't get paid.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: i have some questions
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:04:13 pm »

The keywords you give for pictures are not for search engine use. They are used within cpg.
As they're part of the output, they'll be picked up by search engine spiders as well.

However, in terms of SEO, you better give your pics a good title and description.

Posting your email address here will only result in getting more spam, as your email address will definitely be going to be picked up by email harvesters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.