Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't start - newbie problem  (Read 4221 times)

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
Can't start - newbie problem
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:44:42 pm »

Hi all.

I'm totally new here so please consider I don't understand tech stuff.

I've installed Wampserver2. It's apparently running flawlessly. I then installed Coppermine. I started tweaking the configuration. Fine.
I created two categories and one album in one of the categories.
I just cannot start putting images. Coppermine keeps telling me there are no available folders for pictures.
I created one of course. I understood there were rights issues but could not find how to apply them. It's that 0777 model that I can't apply. I don't have a clue how to achieve it directly in XP.
I am running XP SP2. I am hosting my own server. I therefore can't upload pictures. I just copy the files to albums/photos folder. I have no ftp access you have understood.
I allowed the batch tools but can't see them. Or are they the ftp button? It can't do a thing for me because of the no folder problem.

Please I'm really lost. I've done a lot of search to no avail.
I may as well be searching for other apps that I may understand instead... but Coppermine is so popular I admit there must be objective reasons.

Sam.

Nibbler

Re: Can't start - newbie problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:45 am »

Yeah, it's the 'FTP =>' if you use french. You need to disable browsable batch add mode on windows servers. There's an option to do this on the batch adding page. Self hosting is not recommended.

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:18:47 pm »

- All right. That did the trick :-) Thanks! Although I don't quite understand why batch processing should return a 'no action possible' error.

- Why is self hosting not recommended?

- Well, I do have a serious problem adding pictures, however. Some albums, made from the same content - I mean same camera, same name coding, etc. - appear to be totally empty. I can't seem to find a solution, there.
I have tried accessing my drives through ftp software, and could see the 755 rights code. I tried to change it to 777, but although I don't get any error code nothing changes. The change is not applied in the end. And that's for both working and non working albums.
Please help again. I mean... anyone :-)

Sam.

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »

This is exactly why. 755/777 are unix permissions - they don't apply on windows.

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:59 pm »

Alright. Does this mean I'm definitely stuck? That half my albums won't show for some obscure Microsoft reasons?

just_some_guy

• Supporter
  • Coppermine addict
  • I am currently on holiday, back in a few weeks. :D
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:15 pm »

I run a server off a Microsoft operating system and Coppermine works perfectly fine on it. Luckily enough for me the default file permissions do not need to be altered so CPG can run without actually changing any permissions. Have a google around as Windows does have its version of CHMOD'ing.
Tambien, Hablo Espaņol      PHP - Achieve Anything
"The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow. " - Bill Gates
Windows 7 Forums

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:06:32 pm »

Well apparently - so I've seen using my ftp program locally - all folders are set to 755 which is supposed to be good enough. What annoys me as I'm trying to rebuild my home photo site is - I said half, in fact I should say two thirds of my folders are found to be empty when they are not. They look like any other, contain the same sort of files from the same source with the same file names... I'm really lost here once more :-(

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »

Even stranger to me, I've tried this:
I created a new folder from scratch named Help. I copied all the pictures that would not be found by the "ftp =>" button. That works neatly. All files are found. I really don't understand this issue. And it's really bugging me now.  ???

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:26:35 pm »

Sorry for adding more and more answers but I'm writing as I'm discovering. This might help other users. You never know. I mean I never know ;-)

Well, my workaround seems to be working: making new folders and copying pictures works when copying already existing folders might not... for reasons someone might know...  :'(

AmuelPouart

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:35 pm »

Well no... my workaround doesn't always work, alas. Two albums are found empty again. This Coppermine app is getting on my nerves...

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 01:14:08 am »

Post 4 times in a road it's no advisable. Please, use coppermine not minutes but hours, days or even weeks before posting. Remember that every post is read by many people and it takes a lot of time reading just post worthless... Don't get me wrong. This is just an advise to keep your Karma up  ;)

Regards,
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en espaņol
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.