Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme "floog"  (Read 18369 times)

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Theme "floog"
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:47 pm »

I spent a few hours thinking about a new theme for coppermine and so I took Gimp and made a draft...

If I can gather some time I can try to make a real theme out of it, but I have to see how the next few weeks are going to be.
Meanwhile, look at the picture and tell me what you think: if I got it completely wrong or - maybe - it is becoming the next default theme...who knows ;-)

It is certainly not perfect and if someone has suggestions you are invited to tell me! Only with feedback I can enhance it.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:50:59 am by Joachim Müller »

artoonie

• Coppermine regular visitor
Re: New theme proposal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:05 am »

I like it!

A c0uple things-
1) The font of the links at the top are too boxy, try using a bubbly font to match the rest
2) The white to the left of subcategories looks a bit empty, maybe some pattern there?

The color scheme is awesome

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:43:35 am »

The gradient used in combination with the rounded corners will be hard to implement for different widths, so I guess you will have to fall back to fixed widths.

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Re: New theme proposal & its corresponding problems
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:53 am »

since there were no other comments I started to implement my idea...

I managed to replace the table with a lot of <div>s ... just because I like it that way.
the borders are currently firefox-only (with "-moz-border-radius") but I could imagine a solution like phpbb3 with images in each corner.
I also changed the font to "lucida grande". (curious? -> http://flos-page.mine.nu/flogallery but keep in mind: under heavy development/unfinished/might-eat-your-browser-phase)

but then I experienced some ... minor issues ... when i tried to click around a bit, I noticed that the pages like upload.php and usermgr.php have the table-layout hardcoded in them. Is there any possibility to change that without modifying the core files? a wrapper that can be extended with a regular expression to replace the html tags? or does it make sense to fall back to the table, or in other words: include a if-clause in starttable() and endtable() that when e.g. $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'] does not contain "index.php" or "thumbnails.php" (thus all pages that might contain hardcoded html) the start/end of the "normal" table should be returned?

and yes, I am stubborn and I want <div>s and I don't like <table>s  ;)

ib2loud

• Coppermine regular visitor
  • I <3 CPG!
    • OKShowPics.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:07:19 am »

i like it so far

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:40:17 am »

Finally I had some time to work on the theme again, and I can say that I will post a .zip file soon (today or tomorrow, just some minor things to sort out before that...)

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:40:03 pm »

ok, here it is

please keep in mind the following:
  • it works great with firefox, but
  • IE _will not_ display round corners and you _will_ experience other issues, that may render the theme ugly
Thus use it at your own risk.

I did it for my own gallery, for me it's good enough. I just want to share what I did... ;-)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:49:50 am »

Thanks for your contribution. I have added your custom theme contribution to the demo and downloads section. I have applied some minor adjustment (moving the logo from the theme root to the images folder) and added a readme to the zip package that explains the issues with IE. I have re-named this thread as well.
Demo - Download
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:19:07 am by Joachim Müller »

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
Re: Theme "floog"
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:43:26 pm »

Just to point it out: I made a capture of this theme on IE 6 and yes, several issues comes up. This post it's not to cluttering an announcement thread but to show some thing before downloading to IE users.

If you use Firefox, it's a nice theme.

Cheers,
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:18 am »

I agree with fabri - IE is still the leading browser for end users, especially non-tech people. This being said (wether web designer like it or not), we still to code workarounds and "hacks" to make pages work with IE. That's why I would not encourage people to use this theme out of the box, but maybe someone will manage to make it work with IE as well.
There are some issues in FF as well: if your content doesn't fit into a cell, it is being cut off - that's something that doesn't look nice neither. Of course we don't want to sacrifice beauty by allowing wide content to float around on the page, making everything look stretched. As a result, there should be scroll bars for blocks that contain more content than what can be displayed.

This posting not meant to discourage Raven24 - it is meant to encourage you to fine-tune your theme and finally make it work with most modern browsers to an extent that it will at least be usable for eveyrbody.

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:25:13 pm »

I feel encouraged, but I'm lacking the time, since I go to university and have a part-time job... but I will definately keep on working on the theme - just, don't expect anything too soon.

feckineejit

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 08:30:24 pm »

sexy theme, i think im gonna have to put in some work and get it working for ie, i just love it!

Fabricio Ferrero

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From San Juan, Argentina, to the World!
    • http://fabricioferrero.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 09:32:05 pm »

It's good to hear! Don't hesitate to share it later ;)

And it would be nice if you check docs for the 1.5 v and try to make it work there too. Very soon will be the release of the new version and it would be nice to have this theme working for it too. :)

Regards,
Read Docs and Search the Forum before posting. - Soporte en español
--*--
Fabricio Ferrero's Website

Catching up! :)

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:30:20 pm »

since christmas is coming up (and so are the holidays) I might find some time to perfect the theme for IE (at least version 7) and I can try and see how much has changed in coppermine 1.5 to provide an update for that version.

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:33 pm »

Here is an update. I fixed the overflowing boxes for IE and FF (if the text is too long, it still is a bit ugly, because only the box with the long text will be stretched ... maybe i will think of a little javascript to resolve that) and changed the hard-coded german "Album" and "Kategorie" I forgot in the last version to dynamic labels from the language arrays.
Yes, still no round corners for IE :-)

Please, test it first and don't trust me blindly. ;-) I am on Linux here and only have IE6 in wine, which might not display it properly to me.

If I don't get any more input I will start and look into the 1.5 version and port my theme 1:1.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:17:59 pm »

Nice work. As for the rounded corners in IE, maybe take a look at the classic nifty theme Joachim made. I've used nifty corners before. Lazy and simple but works.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Raven24

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 01:30:46 am »

Important Update (aka. mindless mistake):
I forgot to include the JavaScript in the HTML file! (I didn't notice for that long because I hardly use the features that require javascript...)
just put this line somewhere inside the <head></head> section of the html and that's it:
Code: [Select]
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.js"></script>
Sorry if that caused any inconvenience...

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:30 am »

Thanks. Replaced the file in our downloads section with the changes so far. Please take a look at our naming scheme and our version number scheme: we start counting at 1, so the initial version is 1.0. Hence, the actual version of the theme is 1.3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.