Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can't delete picture files or albums  (Read 6595 times)

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
can't delete picture files or albums
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:23 am »

hi. i'm having some trouble deleting some pictures and their albums. i keep getting this message saying that the files aren't writable. however, after i tried to delete some pictures, the pictures are no longer showing up but, still show up as an x with a link to the image.

if anyone can help me, i'd appreciate it. thanks. :)

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
Re: can't delete picture files or albums
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:49:12 am »

Never delete pictures using your ftp up but only the build in coppermine mechanisms. If the server OS doesn't allow pictures to be deleted, you're supposed to change file permissions/ ownership accordingly (but as said not delete files manually).
Put the fullsized images you just deleted back into the folders where you deleted them from and now use coppermine for file deletion.

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:31:20 pm »

Never delete pictures using your ftp up but only the build in coppermine mechanisms. If the server OS doesn't allow pictures to be deleted, you're supposed to change file permissions/ ownership accordingly (but as said not delete files manually).
Put the fullsized images you just deleted back into the folders where you deleted them from and now use coppermine for file deletion.

I have Core FTP and I didn't use it to delete the files. I manually went in Coppermine to delete them, so I don't know..
I 'm not really sure what you mean by server OS?

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:52:34 pm »

I'm really new to all this and I'm still as lost as ever by what you meant. You said I could delete them on Coppermine but, it didnt work. When I deleted the pics it just left behind a blank space with the link to the img. ex: image01.jpg

I really need help and am at a loss on what to do. Sorry to post twice about this. If someone can't help but can direct me some other documentation regarding this issue, i'd appreciate it a whole lot. thank you.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:08:46 am »

I 'm not really sure what you mean by server OS?
OS is the abbreviation for "operating system", so Stramm is talking about the operating system of the server.

You said I could delete them on Coppermine but, it didnt work.
What is "doesn't work" supposed to mean? Describe exactly what you did (something like "i went to http://mysite.tld/my_coppermine_folder/editpics.php?album=6 and clicked on foo. Then bla happened"). Post real life URLs.

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

OS is the abbreviation for "operating system", so Stramm is talking about the operating system of the server.
What is "doesn't work" supposed to mean? Describe exactly what you did (something like "i went to http://mysite.tld/my_coppermine_folder/editpics.php?album=6 and clicked on foo. Then bla happened"). Post real life URLs.

Oh ok. Thanks for pointing out what "OS" meant. ;)

What I meant by doesn't work is that, when I deleted the pictures and the album through Coppermine, it did not work. Coppermine is the only place where I tried to delete the pictures. I have not done so through FTP nor did I through the files on my server, at first.

However, upon trying to delete the pictures individually, throught Coppermine.. I no longer saw the pictures but, it still left behind blank spaces and the link to the pics which you can see by clicking on this link. http://www.eternally-eman.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=142

I did however, go in and try to delete the albums and even deleted the files through my server. The pictures you do see, that do show up in the URL above, were fake pictures I used to upload with the same file name as the blank ones. A friend of mine told me to replace those pictures. I guess because there was some other way that the pics needed to be removed. If that makes sense..

I tried uploading those to "override" the blank spots but as you can see in that URL, it did not work so.... I'm back to square one and I honestly don't know where to go from here because the original pictures that were there,  I no longer have at all on my computer or anywhere else for that matter.

If anyone needs any other information to help me out, just let me know because I don't have much of a clue about Coppermine at all. Thank you.

Nibbler

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:01:04 am »

Post a test user account with upload permissions.

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:08 am »

Oh and I should point out that when I clicked on the pictures for example.. I clicked on "miriambud3.jpg" then clicked on delete. I clicked on "ok" to delete the picture and this error message appeared (which appears for all the pictures):

Directory 'albums/eternally-eman/Emma Nelson [Miriam McDonald]/Miriam McDonald/television and film/Budweiser Commercial/' is not writable, files can't be deleted 

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:43 am »

Umm.. not sure what you mean or how to do that. Sorry. I'm new and never had to that before. :-\

jewelz007

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 01:33:56 am »

sorry for double or triple posting but, i think i figured out what you meant, Nibbler. :)

first of all.. i figured out that when i had went in to delete the pictures under my server, i deleted the files they were in also and the main file those were in was changed so, it wasn't matching up with the links to the blank pics. i changed it back to its original file name and i was able to delete alot of the pictures and even some of the blank pics, disappeared. however, i'm stuck with all the thumbnails which, i cannot delete.

anyhow.. i made a testuser account with password. shall i post those here? i think that is what you were asking..?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:01 am »

i made a testuser account with password. shall i post those here?
Yes, because that's what Nibbler said:
Instructions could not be clearer, why do you have to ask again? Are you trying to be difficult?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 12:13:34 pm »

jewelz007 failed to reply, so I'm locking this thread.
An unrelated reply to this thread by whitewash has been split from this thread into a separate one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.