Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: long album names and table width that goes out of boundaries  (Read 2815 times)

renede

• Coppermine novice

Guys i know you are going to smack me because i probably could have found this somewhere... i searched it but couldnt find it.
The question: my gallery has these kind of long albumnames and i would like them to be broken off so my gallery doesnt go any wider than 850 pixels. But the album list is wider than that because of the longer names (and they have to be that, its just in the name...) Where do i make the setting that names can or have to be on 2 lines instead of one? When im logged in its fine but as a simple viewer you get the wider version...
[Edit GauGau] Replaced hotlinked image with screen.jpg [/Edit]
the wrong version...
[Edit GauGau] Replaced hotlinked image with attachment screen2.jpg [/Edit]
when im logged in it looks like this, as it should be

If you want to look at it: www.renedenengelsman.nl/gallery (on a Mac you see it correctly but on a pc the albumlist gets wider than the top (the orange bit))

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:03:18 pm by Joachim Müller »

renede

• Coppermine novice
Re: long album names and table width that goes out of boundaries
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:01:32 pm »

no one??

renede

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:33:57 pm »

7. Known Issues
The following slight quirks and tiny issues are known and will hopefully be fixed in future releases.

From the manual... Is this my problem? Why does it work correctly on mky other site www.theaterinbeeld.nl? Let me know please?

Nibbler

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:31:37 pm »

Use spaces in the album names instead of dashes and underscores.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:14:10 pm »

Your issue is a common web design problem that is not specific to coppermine. A long blob of text without spaces doesn't give the browser a chance to start a new line within a block.

This happens here on the SMF forum as well as in any other element. Here's an example:
  • Random text with proper spacing: the browser decides where to add line breaks. The text looks as expected
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
  • Random text without spaces (but undersocres instead)
    Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet,_consetetur_sadipscing_elitr,_sed_diam_nonumy_eirmod_tempor_invidunt_ut_labore_et_dolore_magna_aliquyam_erat,_sed_diam_voluptua._At_vero_eos_et_accusam_et_justo_duo_dolores_et_ea_rebum._Stet_clita_kasd_gubergren,_no_sea_takimata_sanctus_est_Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet._Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet,_consetetur_sadipscing_elitr,_sed_diam_nonumy_eirmod_tempor_invidunt_ut_labore_et_dolore_magna_aliquyam_erat,_sed_diam_voluptua._At_vero_eos_et_accusam_et_justo_duo_dolores_et_ea_rebum._Stet_clita_kasd_gubergren,_no_sea_takimata_sanctus_est_Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet._Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet,_consetetur_sadipscing_elitr,_sed_diam_nonumy_eirmod_tempor_invidunt_ut_labore_et_dolore_magna_aliquyam_erat,_sed_diam_voluptua._At_vero_eos_et_accusam_et_justo_duo_dolores_et_ea_rebum._Stet_clita_kasd_gubergren,_no_sea_takimata_sanctus_est_Lorem_ipsum_dolor_sit_amet.
    Note the content going into one line, the browser adding horizontal scrollbars to this page?
As you can see, this is a problem you caused (by not adding spaces) - how is the browser supposed to "know" where to add a line feed? As Nibbler suggested: don't use long album or category names without spaces. You should avoid spaces in file or folder names, but you can (and should) savely use them in textual content elements like album names. If you don't want to do that, you're stuck: there's nothing to recommend here from our position. Your problem lies in the way browsers render content.

renede

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:02:21 pm »

Thanks a million guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.