Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: Re: Intermediate Img Problem: URGENT  (Read 4047 times)

Craig Walsh

• Coppermine regular visitor
    • Lucies Farm Ltd.
[Solved]: Re: Intermediate Img Problem: URGENT
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:56:14 pm »

I have searched the forum for an answer to my problem.  I've found postings, like this, where people seemed to have the same difficulty that I'm now experiencing --- but no answers (at least none that I could find) to how the problem was cleared.

Our Coppermine gallery is at www.bark.ch

We tend to batch upload images --- ones that have already been keyworded with other software.  When I uploaded a batch of about 40 images last night into the Australia folder, I found that some of the images did not have the mid-size (intermediate) image available.  When I click on the thumbnail I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message.  This seems to apply to the same photographs, but not all of the uploaded images.

If you go, for example, to

http://www.bark.ch/thumbnails.php?album=70

and click on the second image in the top row (my brother in law looking like a hood ornament) you'll hopefully see what I mean.  The images to the left and the right of this photo work fine, and they were uploaded as part of the same batch.

As this was only happening to certain images, and always the same images, I thought there must be something "wrong" the images themselves.  I looked at them carefully (file names, keywords, etc.) but couldn't see anything different or unusual with the problematic images.

And the mid-size (intermediate) file was created on the server at the time of the upload/publish.

As the problem seemed to be with the Australian album, I deleted the entire album, and re-uploaded the images.  I am having the same problem with the same images, but now having problems with some of the earlier photos uploaded into this album.  Images that weren't problematical before.

As we have just crossed the 13,000 image mark, I was wondering if this problem could relate to maximum size of the database, etc.  I did a forum search on that topic as well, but most of the technical issues went over my head.

We run Coppermine on a dedicated, and managed, Linux server.  There is plenty of "room" on the server, and we have no restriction on bandwidth:  at least none that we're likely to encounter.  I have asked the server people to please look into this and to please let me know if they can figure anything out.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thank you for your help.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:41:43 pm by Nibbler »
Craig Walsh
CPG Photo Gallery - www.bark.ch
Member of the Association of Photographers (AOP)

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: Intermediate Img Problem: URGENT
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »

Pls do not hijack other threads. As to the amount of pictures present on your cpg, there are cpg installation on the net with a multitude of that so don't worry about how many pics you upload.

Cheers
Hein

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
Intermediate Image Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:46:13 pm »

Pls do not hijack other threads.

Sorry -- didn't really think I was "hijacking" anything.  The problems I'm experiencing seem to be the same as described in the "other thread," but the other thread did not contain an answer/solution to the problem.  I thought it would be helpful to have all of this together.

As to the amount of pictures present on your cpg, there are cpg installation on the net with a multitude of that so don't worry about how many pics you upload.
Yes, I know --- I've seen the very large CPG galleries so knew that Coppermine could handle it.

But while you have spanked me for an inadvertent hijacking (again, my apologies --- I thought I was doing the right thing), and have told me not to worry about how many pictures I upload, do you (or does anyone) have any suggestions about what might be wrong --- and how I'd go about fixing the problem?

Thanks again for you help and assistance.
Craig Walsh

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:09:48 pm »

You say the intermediate file is created on the server at the time you upload new pictures. Do you have a deeplink to a working and not-working picture ?
Did you try uploading clean pictures to your cpg, without pre-keywording them etc..

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
Re: Intermediate Img Problem
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:41 pm »

You say the intermediate file is created on the server at the time you upload new pictures. Do you have a deeplink to a working and not-working picture ?

Yes, sir.  The deep link to a non-working picture --- my brother-in-law as the hood ornament --- is at:

http://www.fotoknit.com/copper/albums/Australia-Web-2A/normal_2008-03-02-07-53-38.jpg

The deeplink to a working picture is at:

http://www.fotoknit.com/copper/albums/Australia-Web-2A/normal_2008-03-02-07-54-09.jpg

Did you try uploading clean pictures to your cpg, without pre-keywording them etc..

Yes, same results I'm afraid.  I thought the pre-keywording was the likely culprit.  I thought perhaps my wife (who does the keywording) may have inadvertently inserted some sort of strange character, or done something else unusual.  But this doesn't seem to be the case, and "clean" images also cause the same problem.

I have just upgraded (a half hour ago) to 1.4.16 from 1.4.12.  The upgrade seems to have been successful (phew!) but the problem with these latest images continues.

BTW, on CPG we have the customary thumbnail, the mid-size (intermediate) image, and then the larger image.  The larger one is the one we edit in Photoshop, and the one we bulk upload and then "batch add."  All of these photos have been saved, in Photoshop, for the web.  All are 72 dpi, and all are no more than 15 inches at the widest dimension.

To digress a tiny bit off of the current problem --- please don't growl at me --- I'd be happy to dispense with the mid-size images altogether, and go from the thumbnails to the images that we actually upload.

The deep link to the "hood ornament" photo --- the photo as we've uploaded it --- is:

http://www.fotoknit.com/copper/albums/Australia-Web-2A/2008-03-02-07-53-38.jpg

Is there a way of dispensing with the mid-size image, and simply having the thumbnail and the image we upload?  Of course, the mid-size image has all the nifty features (slide show, image details, e-cards, etc.) attached to it, and we wouldn't want to lose these.

Thank you again for your continued assistance.
Craig Walsh

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:51:58 pm »

Haven't found a solution to the missing intermediate files yet but if you want to skip them and go straight to the fullsize pictures and still have some nice features you might want to check out this plugin: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,36558.msg249466.html#msg249466
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:57:34 pm by Hein Traag »

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:19:32 pm »

I like the plug-in and have installed it, but it (unfortunately) hasn't solved the problem of the missing intermediate images.  Perhaps I don't have the settings on the plug-in quite right --- I've posted my question about that on the other thread.

The as-yet-unexplained problem of the missing intermediate images is still a worry for me, and a problem on the www.bark.ch website.

All suggestions, etc., happily received.  From a search of this forum it would seem that others have had the same problem, but I couldn't find out how they fixed the situation.
Craig Walsh

Nibbler

Re: Re: Intermediate Img Problem: URGENT
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:30:37 pm »

Known problem. Disable reading of EXIF data.

Craig Walsh

• Lucies Farm Ltd.
Re: Intermediate Img Problem
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:06 pm »

Hi, Nibbler ---

Wow!

One click and the problem was fixed.  I disabled the EXIF data as suggested, and the problematical images are now fine.

Thanks for your help with this. 

Craig Walsh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.