Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: very strange problem  (Read 4002 times)

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
[Solved]: very strange problem
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »

I have 2 websites using coppermine both working  3 days ago
until last night when all I got was a blank page, on both sites
My imediate thought was ,this is a server issue and contacted the host ,who said nothing had changed but they would check with the engineers
then using fantastico I installed coppermine to another site on the same server as the other two sites
 I thought this would prove it was a server issue
half an hour later the host support said the two sites photos were back but they didnt know why ,I checked and yes they were back but the new install wasn't
 I emailed them again and they said they could see it
This AM another email said they could see it in IE7 but not in IE6 or Firefox ,I have IE7 and I still cant see it when I press the button for photographs at www.mareham-village.co.uk all I get is a blank page says done in the bottom bar
Anyone any ideas ???
Regards Beekeeper
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:02:17 pm by Joachim Müller »

Hein Traag

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • A, B, Cpg
    • Personal website - Spintires.nl
Re: very strange problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:17:13 pm »

Don't use Fantastico to install Coppermine. It is and wil always be utter rubbish. It is better to install Coppermine manually to avoid problems being introduced bu "automated" installation processes such as Fantastico. Search the board using "Fantastico" to see more about this.

Tip: Do a manuall install of the laterst cpg version, 1.4.16 , and see if that functions better.

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »

You have the strange language problem.

http://www.mareham-village.co.uk/photo/index.php?lang=english

Delete all lang files other than english.php and see if that helps.

steveeh131047

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 04:31:11 pm »

Beekeeper,

Not sure if it's related to your problem, but on your home page I'm seeing a caption which says:

"Could not write to counter file: var/cpanel/Counters/village.dat"

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 06:17:37 pm »

I appreciate that fantastico can causes problems, the albums on the other two sites were manually uploaded and wouldnt explain why they ceased to work for several hours but I will do a manual upload on the mareham-village site and see

I will delete the other lang files although dont see how this would cause the problem

The couldnt write to counter is because the front page is one that was pulled together with the css folder straight off  one of my other sites so the counter has no access to

I take it that no one was able to see the photo album ??

This is crazy before posting this I just checked on the site and I can now see the album

Thanks for looking and the suggestions

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:08 pm »

The link I posted allows you see the album, since only the english language file works. If you delete all other lang files then you force the gallery into english which is why that is the solution.

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:10 pm »

I can see your logic and I will delete the other languages to be sure but as I said I checked before finishing the last post and I can now see it with both IE and firefox
I still think this is or was server related
Thanks for the effort you have put into this much appreciated

steveeh131047

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »

Beekeper,

I was able to see your gallery, all the time, in both Firefox and IE7. The gallery tables were there but there were no images.

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 06:50:34 pm »

Just before I made the first post ,I checked and couldnt see the album with any browser nor could a friend on his computer (there are no pics in it as it was loaded as a test)
having checked again I can see it using IE and firefox
unless the host has found something this remains a mystery
Thanks

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:29:44 am »

Update on this problem
this morning I could not see any of the three sites photo albums but using the link suggested by nibbler on all three sites ,they all function correctly so I will delete all the unused language files as suggested but I still cant see why this should suddenly happen ,the album on two sites were updated  a couple of days after the release of the last upgrade and as been  working perfectly until now

Thanks

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:34 pm »

ONE FURTHER UPDATE
It would appear that the only file that needs deleting is english_gb.php

Nibbler

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 12:33:14 am »

That's just because it's the language you use. If you were german then deleting german.php would fix it for you. Deleting all except english is the fix for people of all languages. Why do you doubt everything I post?

Beekeeper

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 12:54:20 pm »

I am in no way doubting what you post,
I would not have been able to correct the problem without your advice and its very much appreciated
the reason for my post is because of what happened by accident

deleting the language files except english.php as you suggested fixed the problem on all three sites but I also have a fourth site with coppermine on when I checked late yesterday it didnt work either.so I went to delete the lang files on that site as well

Because english_gb.php is immediatly below english.php In my ftp client,I highlighted that first,then before I could drag the curser down to highlight all the others below it I was interrupted, I pressed delete and shut down the ftp client
later I went back to delete the rest but before doing so I checked on the site and it was working so out of curiosity I re-installed english_gb.php, it stopped working, I uninstalled it and it worked again, I then  removed all the other files as I have no real understanding of why there was a problem and if they arent needed they are just taking up space
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.